• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Polar Diagrams

Dave Topolski

Does anyone have any experience with polar diagrams? I recently read "Winning Races " by John Heyes in which he talked about their use to maximize boat speed. I wonder whether the results justify the cost. Please give your opinion or experience. Our boat is a E35-3 that I want to race more extensively next year,and wonder if I'd realize any improvement if used. dgt

inonunderwater

Did you ever find one? I just had a racing lesson on my E29 and the instructor asked for my polar diagram. No idea where to get them...

ConchyDug

Member III
Orc.org under the "Sailor Services" drop down has a catalog of certificates although not complete diagrams you can find a comparative boat to get some basic numbers. On the first page of every cert is a speed table with numbers pulled from a polar diagram.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
If your boat (or the same model of boat) has been measured for a rating under ORC, IMS, or IRC rating rules, the polars are available I think through US Sailing . If no 35-3's have been measured, the other option is get it measured. US Sailing or your local yacht club racing chairperson can help you find a measurer. It can cost several thousand dollars but you will end up with true polars. You will also be able to compete in races held using these handicap rules, but I doubt that is your objective

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
^^^ this.

There are also two other approaches to think about.

One, if you can find polars for another similar boat (e.g., something near the 35-3's 13,000 lb displacement, 29ft waterline, 11ft beam, 600 sqft of working sail area, similar I/J/P/E rig dimensions, etc), they might be good enough to get you started. I know it is complete blasphemy to suggest that another boat might perform like an Ericson, but...

Two, you can build your own - not with a computer-model, but with real-world data. Keep a log of what works and what doesn't every time you sail. E.g. "11 knots true, close-hauled, jib-car is in hole number 3 on the inboard track, 6.1 knots at 33 degrees apparent wind angle". Do that enough times and you can build enough data to plot on a polar sheet.

Keep in mind that computer-generated polars are theoretical targets generated by a VPP (velocity-prediction program), and generally reflect a highly-optimized boat (perfect trim, perfect heel angle, boat not loaded with stuff, etc). They're nice if you're doing high-end racing - the polars will tell you target boat-speeds and optimal wind-angles - but... they're just targets. Knowing how to get the most out of *your* boat is worth its weight in gold, and the best way to do that is to pay attention to what it likes and what combinations of wind-angle/trim/etc make it sing.

$.02