Power for E25

Brian Lowman

Member II
Since I am in the process of rebuilding my '73 E25, I am going to replace the aging 8hp 4 cycle Honda outboard. I am thinking of moving the outboard to a bracket mounted on the port side of the transom and using a 6 hp, 4 cycle Mercury or Yamaha. The current 8hp pushes me along very easily and a 6hp would save 30-50 pounds hung out back. Does anyone have any input on this decision?

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Brian,
I have an older E26 and I use a Yamaha 6, 2-cycle that sets down in a well. It moves the boat at about 5kn without sails and if things are just right I raise the main and can cruise along at 6 to 7.5 kn with an occassional burst to 8 kn. Disadvantages are that I must lift the motor out of the water as often as is possible to insure the fresh water flush. The 2 cylce is light enough to accomidate the lifting by one person. I understand that 4 cylces are a bit heavier. Here in California, it is also my understanding that 2 cycles are getting harder and harder to come by (because of air pollution laws).
I am concisdering changing to the transom the same as you are and I would be interested in hearing other pro and con opinions on this topic.

MY concerns are several but here are just a couple:

1. Would my docking ability be more manuverable with the motor back behind the transom where I would have more swing? It is restricted when its down in the well.

2. Am I going to be able to reach over the transom to handle the engine while the boat is moving and still be able to see where I need to go while docking?

As you can see 90% of my concern is docking. I think unerway in open water the handling of a transom mount would not be too dificult.

attached is a photo of the tiller and attachment and behind it you can just see the motor. I think I have some better photos somewhere on a disc. I look for them.

Brian Lowman

Member II
Jim,

Thanks for your reply, information and interest . There is a thread called '73 E25 Resurrection that has a photo of the transom change that I propose on my E25. Once he gets his E25 in the water, maybe we can get some more feed back on the subject.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
I'll try and post the photo again. It doesn't seem to want to work right when I do this????

Attachments

• tiller3.jpg
    tiller3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 42