• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

primary winch upgrade on 35=2

unequaltee

Member II
I'm looking to upgrade the winches on my 35-2 to self tailing. what size / make would other owners recommend ? at the moment I am looking between Harken or Lewmar only as I am able to get a bit of discount through work on these.
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm looking to upgrade the winches on my 35-2 to self tailing. what size / make would other owners recommend ? at the moment I am looking between Harken or Lewmar only as I am able to get a bit of discount through work on these.
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Which winch? Housetop? Primaries?
That's a big enough boat that I would want size 46ST or larger for primaries. Ours primaries are 46ST, and last spring I took advantage of the special two-for-price-of one deal @ West Marine and upgraded our housetop winches from 30ST to new 40ST.

I have all Lewmar, but Harken or Andersen are certainly just as good.

Check your mounting base diameter maximums to see what will fit with least mods.
We still have our factory ('88) Lewmar 46ST and 43ST primaries/secondaries, and they look like they will last for another decade or two.

Post up some pix when you can.
Cheers.

:)

Last edited:

unequaltee

Member II
Thanks for that Loren. Its only primaries at the moment. The mounting is no great problem as the whole area will be getting a lick of paint sometime soon (i hope)and why i need to make a decision on the winches.
cheers
Ian