Promoting products

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
The recent thread about poli-glow got me to wondering what the policy is around here about vendors promoting their products.

I don't doubt that the member selling this believes in the product, but the thread is certainly more "sales pitch" than "helpful advice to fellow boaters". If this sort of thing is allowed, isn't it possible that other vendors will start spamming the board with their own promotions?

I help moderate a different bulletin board, and controlling spam and self-interested promotion is a constant issue for us. We need to keep very tight controls over how products are promoted, or else the sales pitches really get thick and start to detract from the helpful content of the site.

I should be clear that I don't have anything against the user selling poli-glow, and I certainly don't bring up this subject to get in his way. It's a general issue about keeping the discussion on this site as useful and objective as it has always been.

Thanks, Nate

bigtyme805

Member III
Nate you are somewhat right, I was just trying to help our members know that there is a product that can help their hulls.

I personally never thought anything like this really worked.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
The recent thread about poli-glow

Are you volunteering to be a moderator, Nate?? :egrin: Careful there...

Seriously - if you (or anyone else) see commercial postings happening, please contact me or any of the moderators - any of us will be happy to get out the club and uh, well....nevermind...

Happy Holidays! :xmas_sant

//sse

noproblemo2

Member III
Sorry, but I tend to agree with Nate on this one... Maybe a category for promoting ones beliefs or ??? of products is in line for such postings??:egrin:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Sorry, but I tend to agree with Nate on this one... Maybe a category for promoting ones beliefs or ??? of products is in line for such postings??:egrin:
You mean like a forum for people to tout products they think are good? Hummmmm.... You think *users* would be interested in such a thing?

Anyone else think this is a good idea (NON-vendors, I mean)?

//sse

Mindscape

Member III
In general we have not had vendors promoting products and I don't think this is the place for it. If someone uses a product and likes it that's fine, many of us have mentioned specific products in our posts that we have had good luck with. I don't think Don was only trying to promote his product, he was relaying information in something that he believes in and has personal experience with. But I don't think this is the place for sales pitches, it's the place for information sharing.
This puts folks like Don in a little bit of tough spot, we certainly welcome their input and experience, but would prefer that they keep the sales pitches back channel or off board.
It's also important that we know when people represent certain products so that we have that piece of information when evaluating responses. I think that Guy always does a good job of walking this line, he represents some different products and services, but offers his insight without pushing his products.
My 2 $.02, which is about all this is worth.

noproblemo2

Member III
many of us have mentioned specific products in our posts that we have had good luck with. relaying information in something that he believes in and has personal experience with.

Information sharing "it's the place for information sharing" & sales spiels can be helpful, as well as one in the same, even when one represents "different products and services", I also agree that it is "important that we know when people represent certain products so that we have that piece of information when evaluating responses. All in all such information when presented properly can be well incorporated into our information posted here.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Does'nt Offend Me

I don't see Don's post to be that much of a big deal. The way I see it was that he found a product that really impressed him. He was just letting other people, with most likely the same problem as he had a solution. In the same thread Tim R names numerous products. We frequently use name brands in almost every thread. I know I am guilty.
Its not like this thread was started because Don had financial interest in this company. I am happy to hear about products that people have had success with.
I am one that tends to read most all the posts. I even read the stuff on the "bigger plastic", even though I only have a 25'. I don't do this only because I live in the "frozen tundra" or I'm bored and still unemployed, really its because I like to learn. I can't begin to tell you how many ideas that I have gotten from reading threads about other types of boats than mine.
If a new forum topic is created for users to tell their success and failures on products. I'm all for it! Rob Hessenius

bigtyme805

Member III
I think Rob hit the nail on the head, knowing if a product works is the key to losing money or making your boat look nice without going through challenges of wasting money and time. I decided to start selling it because I believe in it and very few boat owners in my community knew a product like this even worked. I gave 2 men jobs because the boating community needed work on their hulls and this product worked for me.

I wished I owned the company but I don't and have no financial interest just an honest days pay.

A member of the forum and I spoke yesterday, totally caught me off guard when he said he thought few of the members of this forum were oblivious to the real world. His experience was he bought 4 Port Windows from a bunk boat manufacturer from a guy selling them on ebay and he let the thread know how to get them, he said many were critical and questioned why he wouldn't just re-bed instead of replacing.

I will go on to say that these windows were of higher quality by far than the ones Ericson made and fit almost exactly. Not only that no one knew that he was a manufacturer of metals and could have made a million of the old Ericson port windows. He said to me, "why on earth would I go through the time, money and effort to construct these windows when I found a better product than Ericson ever made and below wholesale price and fit exactly in the same hole and even opened." He went on to say once aluminum starts to pit it is better to just replace them instead of spending countless hours trying to get it just right. He has a serious point.

I would be up for a product page only because when I need something I always turn to Ericson first.

Catalina has their forum site where you can buy products for their boats. There is a reason they have it and have been in business for countless years and not bankrupt like many of the boat manufactures of the modern era.

Example:

Where to get water pumps, mufflers, port windows, 12v light covers, canvas, ericson logos, sails, cleaning products and with reviews from the members who have used these products and with what success.

Listed with names and phone numbers and website info. It saves many of us time who don't have much time.

I am quite sure most of the members would appreciate something like this.

Last edited:

Meanolddad

Member III
I agree completely with Don. There is currently a thread on finding ETA circut breakers for the 80's DC panels. I am glad that they seem to be doing the leg work since I did break one recently and have not had the time to find a replacement. A list of sources would be a great idea.
Greg

sleather

Sustaining Member
Fine Line!

I belong to another site for OLD Shamrock inboards and we have EXACTLY the same situation over there! Feel free to "check-it-out".
http://www.fishtheclassic.net/forums/

Any attempt to "spam" gets jumped on whenever IT happens(rarely). They do have 2 catagories that relate to OEM suppliers and other "approved" providers.
Note: you may have to "update" the "Display Options"(year) to get results

Friends of FishtheClassic, Admin approved(added by same) vendors that are fellow enthusiasts w/ something to sell. They are not allowed to "post" their product/sevice in General Forums!

OEM suppliers, links to original or replacement parts.

It's a "fine-line" but it can be done as Rob and Don have mentioned, AND it would simplify a "search" for a specific product! Just MY $.02!

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I don't see Don's post to be that much of a big deal. The way I see it was that he found a product that really impressed him. He was just letting other people, with most likely the same problem as he had a solution. In the same thread Tim R names numerous products. We frequently use name brands in almost every thread. I know I am guilty.
Its not like this thread was started because Don had financial interest in this company.
Sorry, but maybe we read the thread differently. I think the thread clearly WAS started because Don has a financial interest in this company. Mentioning products you've had experience with is certainly not a problem, and is useful. But that thread just struck me as a drawn out sales pitch. Certainly replying to a thread because you know of or even sell a product that you think could help might be allowed, but personally I don't think vendors starting their own threads to sell their product is beneficial to the great content on this site. Hearing from someone who is selling a product that they think it's great just isn't as useful a piece of information as hearing it from disinterested customers. That's not to besmirch Don's character or say he doesn't truly believe his product works, but honestly, when you're making money from selling a product its a lot easier to see it's advantages.

HGSail

Member III
Is this to say that if you own an Ericson and you just happen to be a Shipwright you can't mention it on this site because you might make a couple of bucks? The way I look at it is, Don is an Ericson Owner first and businessman second. He has up until now (as far as I know) never promoted a product.

P.S. Come March when I pull My boat for a new bottom, I will be buying some of Don's product.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Is this to say that if you own an Ericson and you just happen to be a Shipwright you can't mention it on this site because you might make a couple of bucks?

That's not the way I would do it if I were making policy. But perhaps I wouldn't allow vendors to start their own threads promoting their product. If a member is looking for a solution, by all means reply in their thread, tell them about your product, maybe leave your link off the public site if the moderators prefer it that way. Vendors have experience worth sharing, but it should be treated differently than consumer experience, or else this place could really end up with a lot of promotional threads, and that would detract from a very good site.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
So, then...

A forum where you talk about products - and vendors can come and mention their products - and provide a link off site to their products?

Or - a forum where only owners can talk about products, etc. How do we keep vendors (versus owners) from registering and saying they're something they're not?

What if the forum had specific rules, that said if you're a vendor, you can post a thread (read: one thread) about your product, and provide a link off site for it - but other than that, the forum is for owners to talk about "..this product works, that one does not..." blah, blah, blah?

//sse

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Keep vendors out

There are plenty of places for vendors to advertise without them using this site. Once they are let in there is no way to keep them out of the other forums. I like to know that people posting have no financial interest in what they are advocating.

It would seem to me that most of the items someone would want to brag about would fit very well into the Maintenance & Mechanical forum, and can be easily found using the search function. I don't really see a need for a separate forum.

bigtyme805

Member III
I would add a folder like the one you have for Maintenance, For Sale, etc,...

It could read like products/engine parts or some thing like that.

Then when you open the folder it list where to get a waterpump for Universal M18 and the price and website and phone number. Like an address book system.

I spent 2 hours one night looking for 12v light covers for my original lights. TOTAL waste of time, found nothing. Someone on the forum recommended RV supply store and that took another hour and still didn't find.

If we had an address book system I could have looked and found something with a URL and/or a phone number.

That way when someone comes across something that is good they can post. Maybe have a star system rating.

Qualifications would be up to board.

Just a thought and I am sure many hundreds of members would appreciate this service.

bigtyme805

Member III
I just read Nate's reply and I don't understand his stance. If it was a problem posting products that work and having some financial gain I don't see where the problem is. Plus I am an Ericson owner and have been for a long time.

Whoever read my profile, I sell Pharmaceuticals first then I have other things going even an Ericson Sailing Charter Business. I hate the pharmacy business but I have to make a living and that crap is totally marked up.

I was so pumped by the Poli Glow and the fact that something finally worked that made claims so amazing I had to get involved. Don't make much money but I have the lowest price in the world. Why? Because I get tired of getting shit on by West Marine and Boaters World. The mark-up for their stuff is nuts.

If I can help a boater better his boat, believe me I will. Everybody thinks we have unlimited pocket books, boat yards, marinas, marine stores, etc,..

It's like the guy trying to make a buck selling ericson logo's, I think that is great. Hats, T-Shirts, Coffee Mugs, more power to them. Just wish we had better access to getting this stuff instead of worrying about power sellers getting on our site. Highly doubt that would happen. Even if they did maybe Sean could have a page for it and charge these big boys and make some money for all the hard work he does.

With Ericson not being produced anymore owners are slowly dwindling and the market for sellers decrease.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
The obvious reason

The obvious reason to not allow commercial messages is that we would have no idea whether the product is good and the person really likes it, or if it is just advertising BS.

Case in point is Poli Glow. You think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but half the people in my marina that have tried it have either removed it or wished they had never heard of it. You say you like it, but why should I believe you if I know you sell it? By searching for poli glow on the site we can get honest opinions from people we trust.

BTW, the first opinion I came on here was negative. :rolleyes: Someone else liked it. But at least neither had a financial interest to flavor his opinion.

YMMV