propeller replacement 35-III 86'

corkhead

Julian Ashton
[I am goint to replace the original propeller on my ericson 35-III
I am considering a campbell three blade 13 x 9 prop per the recommendation below

Does anyone have experience with doing this????

clip...CS3RH13x9x?? for your installation. This is a Campbell Sailer, three
blade, Right Hand rotation, 13" diameter, 9" pitch for a xx" shaft. This
size is recommended to give you a good cruising rpm and still have
reserve for head wind and seas. You will have better control in reverse with
little or no walking. This has been reported in most cases.

Julian Ashton

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Prop Options"

Can you put up with the extra drag of 3 blade when sailing? As for having better back up power, you might want to price a modern feathering prop as well. That solved most of our port-walk in reverse problem as well as reducing most drag under sail. I paid less than a thou -- "boat show discount" -- for a Martec. For a photo of it, do a search on this site under feathering props, prop options, or somesuch...
You will find other discussion on your subject.

One other question -- are you sure you are limited to a 13 inch? That's not very much diameter for a boat your size...
We went with a 15, and (with the usual 20 20 hindsight) could have used a 16. This would still have maintained the minimum of 10%-of-diameter measurement for tip-to-hull clearance.
As a (very) general rule, you want all the diameter you can properly find room for. Just maintain the clearance with the hull to avoid "thump."

This upgrade to our boat was almost as wonderful as installing the furler, in reducing crew stress...
:)

Best,
Loren in PDX
'88 Olson 34

corkhead

Julian Ashton
thank you for the quick response. the diameter was recommended by Campbell ( as was the pitch).

They claim drag is not a big issue. I haven't looked at feathering props, but I will now. They seem abot 3X the $$$

again thanks
Julian

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
what a drag....

As to the issue of drag -- it is very real at boat speeds under 3 kts (to pick a number). A fixed prop can cost you a half knot of speed.

Looking at the situation another way, if you always motor when the wind drops below 12 knots, then this would be unimportant to you...
:)

I do believe that it's misleading of a prop vendor to brush this off. OTOH, it's perfectly valid for the purchaser to balance the needs of thrust, sailing drag, and budget, and decide accordingly. Life, after all, is full of compromises. Just be sure of what you are getting and what you are giving up.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Tom Plummer

Member III
I also have a “Martec” ,actually an Autostream prop imported by Martec feathering prop and I love the thing, I sail faster now because of the reduced drag over my previous 3 blade fixed prop. I sail the boat more often because I don’t require as much wind to drive the boat effectively. Additional I can back the boat straight now which is a plus because my slip is only 28 feet long and with an E35 it is a lot easer to get on and off the boat stern tied. If you want to look at the Martec props the URL is
Martec Props

sailingdeacon

Member III
Don't underestimate the Campbell

The Campbell prop is quite unique in that the blades are very narrow and the pitch is unlike the typical blade. (So much so that to repitch requires an approved site) The blades are much narrower than the usual michigan prop - so much so that those who have not seen this prop are very surprised. The mfg has scientific data to back up their claims that the drag is really not much at all. (Their summary is that the drag is like a hand in the water, although I question that!) I had one on a previous boat and would do so again except the E34 I now have came with a feathering prop and I race. So every little bit helps. Additionally the prop is produced so well and balance that there is no vibration at all. And the price is far far better