Purchasing 1990 32-200

jav317

Member III
This is the aft-cabin model with a 1000 hours on the engine. Sea trial and survey Monday. Any advice or information is greatly appriciated. Joe

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It is said that although the previous owner (PO) is divorcing the boat, you are in fact marrying him. In addition to the obvious checks, try to scope out his maintenance and general stewardship. It gives confidence if you see signs of interest and attention, and things done right. Sloppy work is worth concern or at least increased awareness.

Sloppy work is varnish drips, deck leaks repaired from the "outside," a bilge full of of glop, an engine ugly with oil spills and rust, a smelly head and so on. The PO is part of the boat's history and future. A good one is a good sign, a bad one has to be forever overcome.

jav317

Member III
Here are all the projects I have done to my sister-ship boat:

What is your background? Is this a first boat purchase?
Thanks for project list. I had looked over a few already. This is my 5th boat, Islanders 30,36 and Peterson 44. I've been sailing since '83 mostly around the Channel Islands off of Ventura, Santa Barbara coast. Sailed to Cabo San Lucas Twice and once to Puerto Vallarta.
I've always wanted a Ericson and I just might finally have one. In 2018 we got to sail for a week in the BVIs on a bareboat 41 Catamaran. Otherwise, off the California coast. Haven't owned a boat since 2012 so I'm kind of excited.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Thanks for project list. I had looked over a few already. This is my 5th boat, Islanders 30,36 and Peterson 44. I've been sailing since '83 mostly around the Channel Islands off of Ventura, Santa Barbara coast. Sailed to Cabo San Lucas Twice and once to Puerto Vallarta.
I've always wanted a Ericson and I just might finally have one. In 2018 we got to sail for a week in the BVIs on a bareboat 41 Catamaran. Otherwise, off the California coast. Haven't owned a boat since 2012 so I'm kind of excited.
Sounds like you already know what to look for. Good luck with the trial and let us know how it goes!

jav317

Member III
Sounds like you already know what to look for. Good luck with the trial and let us know how it goes!
Thanks for the encouragement. Its always great information to speak with other owners of the models you're interested in, there always seam to know about something a new buyer had never heard about.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Thanks for the encouragement. Its always great information to speak with other owners of the models you're interested in, there always seam to know about something a new buyer had never heard about.
A '90 is the best Ericson to buy because it is/they are the youngest boats in the fleet.

OTOH 31 years is just old enough so that everything works, but everything needs to be replaced.

Look at the boom sheaves - everyone seems to run into that. The plastic gets old and sunburned and turns into a problem.

Your hull was probably laid up in Tijuana Mexico, as were all other 90's.

Your boat probably has a Yanmar 3GM30F engine in it (only in the '90's, all others were Universals). Yanmar instead of Universal means fewer fellow owners here in EY.org, but the 3GM is very widely used by other yacht manufacturers that the parts and online information support is strong.

PDF downloads are available for owner manuals, and I found a Chilton guide as well. I'm 99% sure that my Yanmar does not have a water lift muffler (Fernando and I both have this situation). It has never been a problem, but good for you to know.

Here's a magazine review about the model:

A lot of work went into making the aft cabin double-berth (vs. the slightly older design 32-3's). Every boat is a bundle of compromises.

The rear cabin trapezoidal port window all seem to leak at the aft end. I think there may be a hull-flex or heat-related fiberglass expansion issue. I tried to rebed mine and the problem returned.

No one has produced a 32-200 specific owner manual, so you have to make your best guesses based on the 32-3 model and the 34-2 which was designed and built at the same time and shares virtually all components.

You might find your specific boat in the hull wiki.
If not, please add the info.

jav317

Member III
A '90 is the best Ericson to buy because it is/they are the youngest boats in the fleet.

OTOH 31 years is just old enough so that everything works, but everything needs to be replaced.

Look at the boom sheaves - everyone seems to run into that. The plastic gets old and sunburned and turns into a problem.

Your hull was probably laid up in Tijuana Mexico, as were all other 90's.

Your boat probably has a Yanmar 3GM30F engine in it (only in the '90's, all others were Universals). Yanmar instead of Universal means fewer fellow owners here in EY.org, but the 3GM is very widely used by other yacht manufacturers that the parts and online information support is strong.

PDF downloads are available for owner manuals, and I found a Chilton guide as well. I'm 99% sure that my Yanmar does not have a water lift muffler (Fernando and I both have this situation). It has never been a problem, but good for you to know.

Here's a magazine review about the model:

A lot of work went into making the aft cabin double-berth (vs. the slightly older design 32-3's). Every boat is a bundle of compromises.

The rear cabin trapezoidal port window all seem to leak at the aft end. I think there may be a hull-flex or heat-related fiberglass expansion issue. I tried to rebed mine and the problem returned.

No one has produced a 32-200 specific owner manual, so you have to make your best guesses based on the 32-3 model and the 34-2 which was designed and built at the same time and shares virtually all components.

You might find your specific boat in the hull wiki.
If not, please add the info.
Thanks Tom, super helpful. So, does someone have a manual on the 32-200? Yes, the boat was laid up in Baja. The boat has the Universal 25 with 1000 hours. The Mechanic has been the same for the last 20 years, so hopefully that's good.
Thank you again for the information and I'll post everything after seeing the boat Pic's etc. Sea trial and Survey is Monday.
Joe

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here are our E32 resources for download. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/resources/categories/e32-docs.17/

The E32-3 manual on Page 2 is the basis for the E32-200. (The earlier 1970s E32-2 design was substantially different).

Our 32-200 owners can guide you through the differences of the head-aft E32-200 from the head-forward E32-3, which are significant in plumbing, engine placement and rudder.

I think I recall That Tom V. had a thread about the differences, as a sort of updated manual. No? If not, we could use one.

Ericson model designations are confused by usage traditions, and Ericson advertising didn't help. The model names are:

Ericson 32, also known as Scorpion 32. Produced in small number 1960s.
Ericson 32-2, 1969-1980? The popular classic, apparently called "-2" to distinguish from the Scorpion.
Ericson 32-3, 1984. First 32 with TriAxial Force Grid, and a complete redesign of the E32-2. Head forward.
Ericson 32-200, 1985. Same hull, interior redesign for head aft and larger quarterberth.
Pacific Seacraft 333 Regatta,1990+. Same hull, PS restyled the 32-200 interior and added a stepped transom.

Sailboatdata.com has most of this correct, and if you see an error they are happy to update their information. Yachtworld and other brokers often shortcut the naming, and you can't blame them.

Last edited: