• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Putting NMEA power and chartplotter power on same circuit

Epenn

1985 E30+, San Francisco, CA
Hey all,

I am in the midst of installing a new suite of instruments on my '85 30+. I am sorting out where I want my nmea wires to run. The old instruments were powered via a single pair of +/- (red/black) wires. The new instruments require power for both the NMEA backbone and the chartplotter. Is it okay to attach both to the same wires? In other words, I would attach 3 black wires (power, backbone, plotter) at the same place and 3 red wires likewise.

If that is okay, what sort of connector can be used for that?

Thanks,
Evan

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Just a standard busbar or a terminal block with jumpers. However, note that there may be different fusing requirements, so an in-line fuse may be needed as well. My new NMEA drop came with one, so no problem. The terminal block is getting a little full though...

IMG_3937.jpeg

Epenn

1985 E30+, San Francisco, CA
Just a standard busbar or a terminal block with jumpers. However, note that there may be different fusing requirements, so an in-line fuse may be needed as well. My new NMEA drop came with one, so no problem. The terminal block is getting a little full though...

View attachment 44315
Thanks! A couple questions:

1. It looks like all of the connections in your picture are 1-1. To make 2-1 connections would you include small extra connectors on top?

2. How can I discover what fuses are required?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks! A couple questions:

1. It looks like all of the connections in your picture are 1-1. To make 2-1 connections would you include small extra connectors on top?

2. How can I discover what fuses are required?
1. If you look closely, you can see small jumpers bridging the terminals on the right hand side.
288029_LRG.23042018120007.jpg
So the top of the strip is all common negatives and the bottom is all common positives. Some terminal strips include these jumpers or you can buy them where they're sold. Or you can just buy terminal busses instead.
bs2301_lg.jpg

2. RTFM. My NMEA drop came with the required fuse already installed in the line. (Which works as long as the circuit you're adding it to has a bigger fuse or breaker up-stream.). Also study up on the ampacity of wires and how to select the right fuse/breaker. E.g.:
IMG_3938.jpeg
61o6MmOi2kL.jpg

OR...
3. You can add sub-panels, especially if you have locations that are complicated or remote from your main panel. Thus your main panel would have one (largish) breaker labeled "Nav Station" or "Forward Cabin" while hidden inside, you'd have a single (largish) wire going off to one of these which distributes power at the required location, with all the correct fuses. It's an alternative to spider-webbing every single device all the way back to the main panel.
91Ef-cG4R5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Hey all,

I am in the midst of installing a new suite of instruments on my '85 30+. I am sorting out where I want my nmea wires to run. The old instruments were powered via a single pair of +/- (red/black) wires. The new instruments require power for both the NMEA backbone and the chartplotter. Is it okay to attach both to the same wires? In other words, I would attach 3 black wires (power, backbone, plotter) at the same place and 3 red wires likewise.

If that is okay, what sort of connector can be used for that?

Thanks,
Evan
Sorta like toddster wrote, I have a single breaker powering the NMEA and chart plotter, then a smaller fuse for the NMEA off of the breaker. Just realize that this can require you to be a bit creative if there are Bluetooth devices on the NMEA2K.

The thing I had to learn the hard way was trying to do the Bluetooth pairing of the B&G WS320 base station (hockey puck) and wind sensor from the mast head. I'd turn on the breaker and push the button to turn on the Vulcan 7 chart plotter right away, then plug in the mast head battery to put it into pairing mode. It failed the pairing every time and B&G Tech Support was of no help. The problem was that the pairing has to happen within something like 20-30 seconds of when the power to the NMEA comes on, and the chart plotter starting up happened after that period.

Pairing required having the mast head battery removed and the mast head unit right next to the WS320 hockey puck as shown in this photo, flipping on the breaker to turn on the hockey puck, then immediately plugging in the green sensor battery. Then turn on the chart plotter to make sure it is getting data. Then take the sensor to the top of the mast.
20220629_201252-4K.jpg

(Top and side windows in ODay 322 head)