PVC Pipe Tarp Frame

jreddington

Member III
I'm starting to plan out construction of a frame to hold a tarp on my '84 E-28. I know I should have been doing this last fall but I had a family crisis to deal with and I managed to get just the minimum winter prep done. I'm also not planning on lauching this summer due to some other issues plus I really need to do some major maintenance. There's no way I can get in both the sailing and the maintenance time. So, I'm looking at setting up something that will be on through summer and next winter.

I'm planning on constructing a frame of PVC pipe and fittings. Aft of the mast I'll either wire tie or hose clamp (with proper protection around the stanchion) the PVC parallel to the stanchions and then use 45 deg elbows to loop over the boom (mast is left up). Forward of the mast I'll make a ridgepole to run from the mast to the pulpit and then like aft, run the cross pieces through the ridgepole using pipe fittings.

I'm asking for any hints on the rig and suggestions of proper sizing for the PVC pipe. I'm thinking 1/2" for the cross pieces and 3/4" for the ridgepole. Will this be sufficient to stand up over winter storms with a tarp on?

Mindscape

Member III
PVC Frame

Jim - I've just purchased a 32-3 that came with a PVC frame. It had 1/2 inch PVC tubes as cross members with a shrink wrap cover. The PVC failed under the weight of the snow we had. I think this may of been more of a design issue with the frame - it what more like hoops on a covered wagon instead of having members that were linked both fore and aft and side to side, more like a house.

I also don't like to link the frame to the stantions as the weight and movement of the cover is transfered to the stantions. I prefer to make the frame independent and stand on it's own.

I will probably use wood to support a canvas cover next winter, although I do think PVC will work, with the right design.

Just my 2 cents and experience - good luck!!

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Emt

I don't know anything about building a cover for snow. I'm in San Diego. but I have built a number of tarp type covers for swap-meet booths, car shelters, etc., and we always use electrical emt. That is the meltal tubing used for electrical wiring in construction work. Available at Home Depot in the electrical department. Some Home Depots have some prefab type of shelters that are pretty reasonable. Again as I said I'm in San Diego so I don't know about load bearing on these tarp covers but I do know that pvc unless it is schedule 40 or heavier and at least 1 1/4" diameter is pretty much worthless for supporting tarps.

:soapbox: Just my $.02.

tilwinter

Member III
There is a system for making a frame out of electrical conduit using a patented clamp called the Kover Klamp. A guy in my marina built one last fall. A video is available.

I cannot find a web site for this product, but there is an article about it in DIY.

I had already purchased a custom winter cover when I saw this technique; had I known of it, I would certainly have tried it.

tilwinter

Member III
Actually, Defender Industries carries these clamps. They are made by La Scala International in New York; 1 800 447 8536