Quick Easy Question for the Gurus...

Dan Hayes

Member III
I have a fresh water-cooled Universal 11 h.p., and there is no coolant recovery tank. I want to top off the coolant. Do I just pour in coolant up to the base of the cap fitting, or is there a specific place to bring the coolant level up to?

Thanks, all.

-dh

polackrm

Member I
Recovery tank

Is there any way that you can just add a recovery tank? Once you accomplish that then the rest is easy. Bob "Pegasus" e29 Port Angeles

Shadowfax

Member III
You can add a recovery tank if the proper fitting exists at the neck of the coolant system. This is where the cap is located. There will be something like a 3/8 fitting that you would attach a hose to, that is connected to the reservoir. If you are not so equipted I would just keep an eye on the level. It should not move around much as it is a closed system. Level should be within an inch or so of the cap

stbdtack

Member III
Dan,
If you have the cap filler neck fitting for a recovery tube you can usually find a generic recovery tank at the discount auto stores (Kragen, Pep Boys, Advance Auto) They are pretty cheap too.

The key is if your cap has a recovery feature built in. Its usually a dime sized silver plate on the underside of the cap. Its lightly spring loaded so when the engine cools and forms a vacuum, the fluid can be pulled back through the attached tube out of the recovery tank and keep the header tank on the engine full.