Re-comissioning recommendations - Edmonds/Everett/Port Townsend

ref_123

Member III
Hi Vikings,

we want to truck our E32-3 to Pudget Sound next summer (yeah, I know, real sailors would sail it up there... but with our American corporate 2 weeks of vacation time per year it's not feasible).

Here is Bay Area things are easy. However up at Edmonds yard rep told me they are "not normally engaged in this kind of activity". Thus would any of you kindly recommend a yard in the area of Edmonds, Everett or Port Townsend where we can truck our boat and recomission it with as little fuss as possible?

Thanks in advance,
Stan

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'd say Everett and Port Townsend are your best bets of the three you mentioned. Port Townsend has a couple good yards and I've hung around there more than the other two. I just don't know much about Edmonds' or Everett's yards. Shilshole Bay Marina also has Seaview West Boatyard at the south end. I have used them several times for haulouts and labor and have been happy with them. Anacortes has good boat yards also - that puts you right in the middle of the San Juan Islands. I used one there for the purchase survey. A few miles north of Anacortes is Bellingham, and there must be good yards there. Again, you're right in the middle of the San Juans.

You could check out Tacoma and Olympia. Depends on your goals for the cruise. If you want ready access to the San Juans and Canadian Gulf Islands, then Anacortes, Bellingham or Port Townsend are best. Take a close look at a chart for the Sound and San Juans. Check the world wide web!

Craig

missalot

Member II
I have hauled out at Maritime Services in La Conner, WA. I found them good to work with, they allow(ed) owners to do there own work without too much hassle. This gets you a little closer to the San Juan Islands.

Geordie

Boadicea Ericson 32-3
Stan,

We have hauled out our Ericson 32-3 at Sea Marine in Port Townsend, taking it north from Bainbridge Is rather than going over to Seattle. They are located in Pt Hudson marina. We have taken our boat and its predecessor up there for over 10 years, after having an unsatisfying experience at Seaview in Shilshole (treated like a number). Sea Marine is a successor to Fleet Marine at same location. We have found them great to work with (Mark is the job manager and has been there for years). You can do your own work in the yard. Port Townsend is also just a great place to spend time, as you may know, a mecca for maritime, wooden boat, and especially sailing activity so there are many resources there, and skilled people. There is also a much bigger marina and yard at the other end of town with other options. I don't know enough to make recommendations there.

I agree Anacortes and Bellingham are also fine options and put you even closer to the San Juans. A consideration with PT is that while you are "just" across the strait from the SJI, fog and high winds/waves in the strait can sometimes cause delays in crossing (it can also be a mill pond).
It doesn't really make sense to be south at Tacoma or Olympia with such good options further north. Seattle has many yards but they may tend to be much busier and more expensive (though I'm not an expert on Seattle yards).

Final thought, if you are coming this far, bring your passport and consider nipping across to the Gulf Islands as well, during the cruise. Southern islands are easily reached from the San Juans. Or save that for the next time!

Good luck.

Simon

ref_123

Member III
Thank you gentlemen,

very good information. One more question on local conditions. I read cruising guides, and they are full of good advice, but local sailors of course know best :). What, in your opinion, would be the prime cruising month? July? August? September? Here in SF Bay June is typically foggy ("June gloom") and July brings howling winds to deal with, so August and September are prime time...

Thanks,
Stan

Geordie

Boadicea Ericson 32-3
Thank you gentlemen,

very good information. One more question on local conditions. I read cruising guides, and they are full of good advice, but local sailors of course know best :). What, in your opinion, would be the prime cruising month? July? August? September? Here in SF Bay June is typically foggy ("June gloom") and July brings howling winds to deal with, so August and September are prime time...

Thanks,
Stan

The old saw in these parts is that summer is July/August/September, or the alternative "summer starts on July 5" (literally true this year in Seattle). These are generally accurate predictions. There also tends to be less wind in the summer months, but we have always found good sailng days on our cruises. Be prepared for some motoring if you want to make a certain destination or schedule. August may be the best bet for sunny weather, but of course is the most crowded for demographic reasons. September (as this year) usually has reliably good weather and anchorages and marinas aren't as crowded. Having said that, in ten years plus of cruising the San Juans and Gulf Is, we have only once or twice had an issue with "no room" in an anchorage or marina. But solitude is a bit harder to find.

One comment on La Conner recommendation. Its a bit of a tricky location, since its on a long narrow slough/canal with a steady and pretty strong current. Just something to be aware of and study up going in. Anacortes is closer to the SJI in any event.