re-power ericson 35, M25-XPB

greg harris

I need to replace the universal M25-XPB engine in my 1988 Ericson 35 Mark III. I have read an old post that the Kubota D-950 is the same engine.

Has anyone actually done this?? A new M25_XPB engine, transmission runs $10,000 in New Jersey or $8600 out of Virginia plus labor to put it in.

I have not found a decent rebuilt one.

thanks.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Beta

Greg,I have considered this as well (ours is an M25xpb) and I have decided on the Beta. It's a direct replacement for the Universal, comes with a better tranny and is well thought out. The price I got from them was $7k and change for the engine and trans!Rick

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Two of our skippers have recently repowered with Betas. One with a 30, the other with a 28 or 25. Both are now happy campers.

lindaloo

Member II
I second that

I did install an M25-XPB a few years ago as a replacement for an XP. Based on my experience I would NOT recommend the XPB. Choose something else.

I didn't know the XPB was around 25 years ago but it doesn't surprise me.

The engine starts and runs ok but there is a compatability problem with the ZF10 gearbox that gets worse over time. Idle speed has to be around 1200rpm to avoid chronic rattles, etc, etc. Not happy. Some of them do this and some don't. Too bad for you if your's does it.

The Beta Marine seems to get favourable responses. Have you looked into Yanmar ?

Let us know

Rob

greg harris

thanks, such quick replies. i just bought the 35 and joined this site. thanks to you all. will lok ionto the beta. yeah, my engine does have to idle really high and goes thru wierd vibrations to get up to cruising speed.

thanks again.

greg harris

greg harris

ericson 35-III beta marine 25 repower

I went with the beta marine 25 to replace the universal 25. Quite pleased with the result. Had the yard drop the new engine in, and allign with prop shaft. They had to grind out a bit of the front bearer bed for the oil pan to clear and fabricated engine forward mounts to accomodate the two side mounts (the universal had just one forward mount in the center.

Engine was 9200 total from Sound marine diesel in Conneticutt (includes shipping, high exhaust riser and upgraded panel and spare parts kit). John Lane at Forked River Diesel did a nice job. My friends and i hooked everything else up and replaced hoses and lines. total cost about 12,600 but it sure is nice to have a new engine and transmission that is quiet and smooth as silk at most all rpm's.

Attaching photos. Thanks to all fo you for your advise.

greg harris

IMG_1629.jpg IMG_1631.jpg

Last edited:

PDX

Member III
I'm pretty sure Kubota's block numbering follows the engine size. The XPB is a 1000 cc engine, the XP 950 cc, so the D-950 block would have been used in the XP. Don't know if its the same as the Beta 25 horse engine--the Universal XP was only 23 horse, the XPB 26 horse.

That $9200 for the 25 horse Beta, with goodies, is a good price. I was quoted more than that for the smaller 20 horse Beta, no extra goodies, two years ago at a boat show.

The people around here who've repowered with Beta, not necessarily replacing Universal engines, have been really happy with them.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I'm pretty sure Kubota's block numbering follows the engine size. The XPB is a 1000 cc engine, the XP 950 cc, so the D-950 block would have been used in the XP. Don't know if its the same as the Beta 25 horse engine--the Universal XP was only 23 horse, the XPB 26 horse.

That $9200 for the 25 horse Beta, with goodies, is a good price. I was quoted more than that for the smaller 20 horse Beta, no extra goodies, two years ago at a boat show.

The people around here who've repowered with Beta, not necessarily replacing Universal engines, have been really happy with them.

Thats where I'm going when we have to repower. I think it was around $7800 but maybe the price has gone up. Dear Santa...............:rolleyes: