Rebuild of diesel universal 5432 – Retorque head

gregdettmer

Member I
After breaking in my Universal 5432 , I went and retorqued the head per the manual. Not fun since you have to remove the valve train. I found the head bolts did not move when applying the proper torque value. Just wondering what others might have found?

Did find some valves out of adjustment, so corrected that and the engine seems quieter, idles smoother and about 100 rpm lower (800 rpm).

Regards
Greg Dettmer
s/v Spirit Soul
1981 - e38

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
IIRC, about half of the headbolts moved maybe 20* or so and the other half didn't move at all. How long did you run it for before re-torquing? I know I ran about double whatever the recommended time was.... Had to, the boat needed to GO! That said, the valvetrain is not that hard to remove, pretty simple really. The valves were out of adjustment on some of mine as well. This is to be expected as they "seat".

I'm still very impressed with the Kubota (5432) quality. The engine is extremely robust. Given the relatively low power output I would think that as long as you keep oil in it and don't overheat it the engine will last forever.

RT

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
head re-torque

There are good reasons for the after run re-torque, however it is not always noticeable. When the parts are assembled they are cold and rigid. As the engine heats and cools a few times the parts have a TENDANCY to seat and shift a bit (measured in thousandths of an inch). When this happens it CAN change the torque values and valve adjustments. The proper way to re-torque the head bolts is to relieve the torque on each bolt then re- torque it one at a time. then reset the valve train and adjustment. Also, the pump timing should be re-verified as it is again a mechanical meshed gear that as it wears during break in may change slightly. The break in basically polishes off the high spots between the moving parts. This is most evident in the piston rings as you will probably notice that it "uses" a substantial amount of oil the first few hours, and then as the rings polish and seal better oil consumption will tapper off. Just because you did not see a difference in the torque does not mean the effort was wasted, things have changed (as you noted in the valve adjustment where the valves worked into the seats) and resetting everything to how it is designed will GREATLY extend its life. Lastly CHANGE THE OIL and filter because all that polishing is washed into the filter as it gets carried away by the oil along with any debris that got in during the build. ENJOY, Edd