• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Recent sales of Ericson 29 sailboats

Don Kerr

Member I
Is anyone aware of any recent sales of older Ericson 29s?
I donated my 1970 Ericson 29 to a charity and my tax preparer wants to know the approximate market value.
The boat was in average to good condition.
The only drawback was the top deck was in need of paint.
the atomic 4 engine was in sound condition, the sails were not new but in decent shape,
The lighting was led and all worked.
The interior appointments were recent and in good shape.
I would appreciate any help that you can offer.
Don Kerr
Pasadena, Md.

ThurstonCounty

Member I
I bought a E29 last fall. It had a new engine (<300 hours), good sails, etc. I got mine for $12,000. It is a ‘73 and she is in the blogs named “Vamos!”

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Without a survey to back you up, you are pretty much pulling numbers out of thin air. But I am thinking (hoping) that a good-condition boat with a fair number of upgrades and a few projects to complete should be in the $12k - $16k range.

There are irrational biases against the Atomic 4 engine and tiller steering, but in this case, you don’t really need to sell those, do you?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Call a yacht broker in your area. They should be able to pull a report of recent (*) sales

* the one I worked with in the Seattle area was able to pull 15 years worth for the model I was looking at....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is anyone aware of any recent sales of older Ericson 29s?
I donated my 1970 Ericson 29 to a charity and my tax preparer wants to know the approximate market value.
The boat was in average to good condition.
The only drawback was the top deck was in need of paint.
the atomic 4 engine was in sound condition, the sails were not new but in decent shape,
The lighting was led and all worked.
The interior appointments were recent and in good shape.
I would appreciate any help that you can offer.
Don Kerr
Pasadena, Md.
You need to talk to your tax preparer again. Boaters here used to have a way to donate boats in my area thru the local Sea Scouts base. This disposal method for unloved boats almost instantly dried up, a decade ago or more, when the IRS changed their rules. They went from accepting a 'value' from the vessel owner to requiring a a value that was set by the actual selling price that the charity received upon sale.
They still do take in a few vessels to sell to raise funds, but the loss of the self-serving way of establishing the "value" pretty much ended the former inflow of boats to them.

And..... I now note that the OP never checked back. Oh well.

Last edited: