Relocating Heat Exchanger

newpbs

Member III
I just replaced my Hurth trans with a TMC 40P Twin Disc trans. The engine's heat exchanger is directly above the dip stick of the new trans. (It was also in the way with the original unit.) I'm wondering if the heat exchanger can be mounted vertically. It is currently mounted horizontally. Mounting it vertically would require a longer run in coolant hose, but the trans would be more accessable.

Has anyone out there mounted their heat exchanger some other way in order to gain access to the transmission?

BTW, the new trans needs to be in neutral while under sail, but that is another thread!

Paul

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You could check with the HX manufacturer, but since it's a closed system (except for the anti-siphon line) it seems like you could mount it any way you want and it would work. If I am wrong I'm sure someone will correct me...

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
As long as the new mounting doesn't place it as the high point of the system there should be no issue. If it is the high point there will likely be an air bubble trapped, this may, or may not be a problem, but you won't know that until its too late. Consider keeping it horizontal yet just moving it up as much as you need. RT