Repair of cockpit coaming side pocket?

peaman

Sustaining Member
My 1987 32-3 has a pocket in the starboard coaming, intended, apparently, for storage of winch handle, bilge pump handle, sunscreen or whatever (see image below). The pocket itself appears to be made of a formed plastic, certainly not fiberglass, which has since deteriorated with exposure to sun light. The pocket is integral to the glass which forms the coaming, so cannot be removed without cutting. Likewise, the wood trim appears to be permanently attached. In the image, you can see a crack along the length of the pocket which hasn't affected the utility of the pocket, but it does let water pass through, and it looks like the bottom could eventually give way.

I wonder if any here have any good thoughts on how to improve and preserve the integrity of the pocket without making a major project of it. I'm not keen on lining it with fiberglass cloth, and I'm not sure resin would adhere to the plastic anyway.

IMG_4047.JPG

Bolo

Contributing Partner
The coming pocket on my E32-3 was cracked and leaking so I glassed the bottom and sides of the outside of the pocket from inside of the lazarette. Not an easy task mind you but doable.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
The coming pocket on my E32-3 was cracked and leaking so I glassed the bottom and sides of the outside of the pocket from inside of the lazarette. Not an easy task mind you but doable.
I did the same. It's held up well for at least 10 years.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, Wynner, there is resin in your hair in the near future. Applying the layer of glass cloth to the underside of the deteriorated plastic box is awkward and messy. I cut a suitable plastic placemat to cover the repair on the inside, which also protects it from UV.

But at least you won't have to try to recreate the wood surround.

My current boat has a Sunbrella cover on all the time, fastened only at the top. It just lifts up to stuff stuff into the pocket and protects contents and varnish from the sun.

cockpit pocket cover T2.jpg

Bolo

Contributing Partner
My additionAl advice, if you’re going to glass the outside of the pocket then wear an OLD baseball cap, with the brim turned backwards so you can see, then throw it away after you’re done cause you’ll probably have epoxy and fiberglass strands stuck to it. :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Consider acquiring a "professional grade" reusable painter suit. Cheap ones are under $20. and the better ones are over $50. I used to consider these kind of an affectation for occasional amateur use, but totally changed my mind after working with a pro ship wright for almost a year on our re-fit. I used up one cheaper one after a few months and then bought a better one which I still have and use. It's a light weight woven fabric and breathes some, also.

With the hood pulled tight and good safety goggles on you can safely work around messy resins. It's great to be able to peel off the disposable gloves and unzip and exit the suit at the end of the day's work. And.... avoid resin and glues or varnishes on your clothing. One a warm day, wear short pants underneath.
A painting project at home or a need to spray some bug killer or weed killer is another time when the suit will protect you.

cruis-n

Member II
A couple of years ago I finally gave up and replaced the whole mess with a new box.
https://www.westmarine.com/sail-systems-plastic-coaming-box-w-fiddle-212993.html
There is a bit of curvature on the surface so gradually screwed it down over a couple of weeks and used butyl tape to seal it.
It took a bit of cutting with a dremel.
You can add a canvas cover if you'd like. I didn't. We did make one for the original box to protect the varnish. Unfortunately, it didn't prevent the plastic box from disintegrating.
I did add a small drain in the back corner with a tube that exits in the lazarette edge where the lid fits.