• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Traveller on E-27

Tom Smith

Member I
I'm replacing the traveller on my E-27 with a new Harken setup, including risers, track, etc.

Has anyone made this upgrade, and what problems did you encounter? Specifically, I'm planning on using the full Harken 4' flat track section ( #1511.4), and not cut it to 41" as on my current setup, which has a slight bow to match the curve of the cabin top. I'm also interested in riser placement (inboard or at the ends) and whether to put backing plates for the risers inside the cabin (current setup has the old risers just bolted to the cabin top, not sandwiched through to the cabin overhead).

I assume I'll be drilling new oversized holes, filling them with West epoxy and then drilling correct size holes for the mounting bolts.

Thanks for your help.

Tom Smith

Glyn Judson

Harken traveler suggestions

Tom, 3-23-01, 0936

Two years ago I installed a Harken Windward Sheeting System in my boat and can offer you a few thoughts. You might want to consider the same for your installation. The system is intended primarily for racing but I installed mine in order to make sheeting easier for myself and my wife. She singlehands our boat a lot and the low friction of the Harken hardware is a very attractive choice . I chose to install the Harken #1576 Windward Sheeting Car as the slight increase in price between that and the #1575 was minimal. I also chose to use the #1519 Traveler Control with an additional sheave on its top in order to be able to lead the adjusting lines back, over our cockpit cushions, directly to the wheel. This way my wife (or anyone else) can trim the main without ever leaving the helm. You could do the same on your E27. One last thought, I know that this won't apply in your case but I'm throwing it out for others who read this. Our traveler is located on the bridge deck and as such, I've fitted a snap shackle to the bottom fiddle block on my main sheeting so as to be able to move the boom out of the way when the boat is in our slip, on anchor or a mooring.

Regards,

Glyn Judson, s/v Dawn Treader, an Ericson Independence 31, hull #55
Marina del Rey CA

Tom Smith

Member I
Glyn -

Thanks for the reply. I talked to Harken about the Windward Traveller, and they suggetsed that because I moor in the Hudson River, and am subject to a fair amount of slop, the windward traveller would "work" while the boat was moored, allowing the boom to swing back and forth over time.

I like your idea about putting the traveller on the bridge deck, and will give it a serious look.

Nothing is bolted down yet, so I have time to play "what if".

Tom Smith

Bob Ells

Member I
Tom, Don't rule out the windward sheeting option due to the "working" of the boom. I installed windward sheeting on my E26 last season - it's a real plus in short-handed sailing situations (ie single handing and novice crew). To avoid the working boom syndrome simply draw the traveler all the way to port or starboard and tie it off to a cleat. Bob Ells

Glyn Judson

Windward Sheeting reply

Tom, 3-23-01, 1021
If you were to add a snap shackle to your mainsheet fiddle block, you could unsnap it from the Widward Sheeting car and it wouldn't work while at rest. The boom and main sheet could be stowed off to one side and tightened down. I've also found that it doesn't tend to work much when sheeted all the way to one side with the boom attached. Another idea would to be to sheet it all the way over and then tie a stopper knot so as to keep the boom from working it. I've done that too and it works. You really need to consider that Windward System as it's just great. It made a world of difference on our boat. After going through a tack, you only have to lightly pull on one line in order to trim the main.

Regards,

Glyn

Tom Smith

Member I
Bob & Glyn -

Thanks for the advice about windward sheeting, but I've already got the standard setup. If I'm not happy, Christmas is only 9 months away!

Any thoughts about where to place the risers if I stay with the cabin top mount, or using a longer traveller ?

Thanks,
Tom Smith