• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Vinyl in Berths

ChrisS

Member III
Does anyone have any experience replacing the old vinyl that lines the hull in the berths? I'd like to put new foam-backed vinyl in the quarterberth to start, and I am wondering if anyone has tackled this project and has any adhesive recommendations and/or techniques they could share.

Also, I will remove the cabinet at the head of the quarterberth to do the job. How do I replace the teak screw hole plugs? Put new ones in, and then chisel off the excess?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
3M spray adhesive

Merry & Happy to all - :egrin:

I had good luck using 3M spray adhesive a few years ago when I did it on a previous boat. It's available from any good hardware store.

The worst part of the job was removing the old adhesive and foam. I used acetone and a good respirator.

Your method works well for the plugs. I'd advise against using any adhesive.

Jerry

Inactive Member
In the past

I've used contact cement on headliners, vinyl and other fabrics. Contact cement gives you a lot of open time while you move things around before final attachment. I use wood dowels and wax paper to keep the two surfaces apart while everything is being lined-up. When things are lined-up start at the center and work out towards the edges to prevent air pockets from forming.

As for the teak plugs - I use a dab of glue, trim down to the surface and then sand smooth.

jkm

Member III
Chris

I just used 3m spray-it was very easy to apply.

When I replace plugs I avoid glue. Once you seal it, they shouldn't pop out.

John