Respecting lifelines and stanchions ... a rant

tripper_dave

Member II
Yes, that too !

We've come in to a few fuel docks where the attendant thought the bow line was being tossed so the bow could be pulled into the dock while we were trying to come in alongside. :rolleyes_d:

-Sven

Describes EXACTLY what happened to us a few years ago coming into Shumway's fuel dock in Rochester... except we were coming in from up stream in a 2-3 knot current and the bozo hauls in on the bow line which of course swung the stern back out into the current and we start spinning around, so the idiot THROWS THE LINE BACK, I hit hard reverse, which immediately wraps the dinghy painter around the prop shaft.... so there we drifting sideways downstream for the railway swing bridge in 2-3knots of current with no engine and the first mate ashore (she had the stern line ripped out of her hands when the current got us). It's amazing how fast you can scull a Catalina 27 with the tiller when you have to.

90 minutes later, after a lovely swim in the Genesee River to cut the line free, we arrive back at the fuel dock and the clueless idiot gets offended when I tell him to keep his damned hands off my boat or anything to do with it!

The only reason we were going into this little stink-pot heaven was to use the Customs Videophone. I will never go in there again if I can avoid it at all.