• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rigging a whisker pole topping lift?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
A novice request for help.

I have a main sail and a furling jib. My boat did not include a spinnaker.

On the starboard side of my mast at deck level are two holes, each with a label:
Upper hole: Labeled "Spinnaker2" is not in use, and lacks a messenger line
Lower hole: Labeled "Main" and is the point at which the Main Halyard exits the mast.

Pardon the filth
IMG_7940.JPG

On the port side of the mast are three holes, each with a label:
Upper hole: Labeled "Spinnaker 1" Has one end of a messenger line. Not otherwise in use.
Middle Hole: Labeled "Genoa 1" The point at which my jib halyard exits the mast.
Bottom Hole: Labeled "SpiUpLift" Has the other end of the messenger line from the top hole. I think this is meant to be the topping lift/up haul line.

IMG_7939.JPG

I have never flown a Spinnaker, on this or any other boat. Mostly I am interested in these rigging points because I would like to practice using a whisker pole and for that I believe I must be using a topping lift. I don't think the topping lift line cares whether the pole it is lifting is attached to a whisker (jib) pole or a spinnaker pole. Perhaps there is another explanation

It seems like for a Spinnaker, one would need a halyard and a pole lift.

Here (finally), are my specific questions:

Would the spinnaker (or whisker) topping lift line exit the mast at the mast head? I can't see any intermediate holes lower down on the mast.
Why would my mast have two other halyard "exit holes?"
Is it typical to have more than one halyard for the same spinnaker? Maybe one line/hole is for a snuffer?
Does anyone have a good picture of the masthead of a 32-200 to share?

I would probably have a better idea if I climbed to the masthead, but I haven't done that yet.

My mast, I believe, is a Sparcraft FM-230 Extrusion https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Sparcraft_Spars/FM_Masts.php

How should I expect to rig a whisker pole topping lift?

I welcome any suggestions or guidance.

Otherwise, went out with two friends in some 20+ wind today. Almost no one out. Had fun, almost ran into a couple of buoys, good times. It's going to start raining now for the next few days in Northern California.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Until a 32 owner checks in, I can guess that your spar section is similar, but since my is a Kenyon, there may be some differences.
There should (might) be exits for two spinnaker 'wing' halyards, on either side of the lower spar section. One the port side might be another exit slot for a jib halyard, and on starb. side an exit for the mainsail hal.
That's four. Also may be a cutout exit slot for an optional topping lift line, along with a cutout for a flush block up toward the upper spreader -- that's were the topping lift would go in.

I note the EY spec'd out all of the Kenyon spars with the cutouts for these optional lines, which made it easy to option out the boat when delivered. I wonder the Sparcraft section has the same cutouts?

If you have some pix of the upper spar and the masthead, please add them.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd add a spinnaker halyard (sheave at top of mast). It will serve as a spare jib jib halyard. It will also serve as a spare halyard available for use with a busun's chair. And it will serve as a whisker pole lift (which is how I use it).