• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rub rails

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One suggestion for the mainsheet might be to have less loops to fly around when gybing. On our present boat and also the one before it I added a pennant from the top blocks up to the attachment point on the boom. (Our present O-34 and our prior Niagara 26 have travelers in the cockpit or on a bridge deck. )
Having only about a foot or bit more of line in the tackle between the block sets leaves less mainsheet to catch on things. Of course less is not the same a zero, so we still have be careful to take in and let out the sheet.
The actual main sheet tackle on the Olson is 6 to 1, with triple blocks top and bottom.

p.gazibara

Member III
I think it was in a book by the Geugin Brothers? Pretty sure I spelled that wrong, but anyway if you sand epoxy into the aluminum it will adhere very well. Once tacky, you can apply your choice of primer/paint and get excellent adhesion.

I’m borrowing an aluminum dinghy that an old boatbuilder here cut the stern off and added about 4’ to. The addition is glass over ply which was glassed to the aluminum using the sand in epoxy procedure. It was done a decade ago and is still holding up just fine.

You could also try to sand an epoxy primer directly onto the aluminum and it would probably work well. The goal is to keep the surface wet such that the aluminum is never bare. Once the oxidation is sanded off the aluminum is in an “inert” environment surrounded by wet epoxy. The epoxy keeps the aluminum from any further oxidation and therefore adheres well.

It sounds messy though.

-P

Commotion

Member II
One suggestion for the mainsheet might be to have less loops to fly around when gybing. On our present boat and also the one before it I added a pennant from the top blocks up to the attachment point on the boom. (Our present O-34 and our prior Niagara 26 have travelers in the cockpit or on a bridge deck. )
Having only about a foot or bit more of line in the tackle between the block sets leaves less mainsheet to catch on things. Of course less is not the same a zero, so we still have be careful to take in and let out the sheet.
The actual main sheet tackle on the Olson is 6 to 1, with triple blocks top and bottom.
I like that idea a lot! If I understand, the pennant goes from the top block to attachment point on the boom? If so, still the same amount of loops (purchase) just shorter loops, right? Would this pennant be Dienema (sp)?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like that idea a lot! If I understand, the pennant goes from the top block to attachment point on the boom? If so, still the same amount of loops (purchase) just shorter loops, right? Would this pennant be Dienema (sp)?
Correct, about the pennant location. You reduce the amount of line by the distance X the number of individual lines. I would guess that on our mainsheet this was around 15 feet of sheet, approx.
I used a swigged piece of ss wire, coated lifeline wire actually. I may change to dyneema for next year.