Rudder cracks anyone?

Guy Stevens

Sounds like something went wrong

Hmmm Having used a lot of Epoxy on a lot of underwater structures, I have never experienced this cracking and seperating problem that you mention. Any chance that you have a photo of it?

My general finding has been that West System with a barrier coat additive is far superior to interlux interprotect 2000.

Would like to have more information about what your experience was.

Guy
:)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I think what Ryan is getting at is that adding successive coats of epoxy or any other resin to a layup of cloth or mat will not add strength, just weight, assuming you are using the resin to strengthen whatever you are working on. If you are using the resin as a barrier, literally like paint, the preparation of the substrate is critical. I am guessing that in Ryan's case the resin never correctly adhered to the original fiberglass surface for some reason. That is why it cracked on impact and then allowed water to get in and continue peeling the layer off.

Generally I only use enough resin to wet out the glass or cloth. It is very easy to overload the fiberglass and the resulting layup is no stronger, just heavier. That said, as long as the epoxy sticks to the original surface of Stugy's rudder it will be a very tough repair. I have never had a problem with West System sticking if the prep work was done right. RT