rudder stuffing box help needed

admirals barge

Member III
hi all

I have a 35 II with the modified rudder. I have read thru all the rudder posts here on the forum to figure out how to solve my two problems.

the first problem is that the spacer between the rudder and the hull is missing. I can grab the tiller knuckle and lift it up about a 1/2 inch and it will go down when I let it go. I read in posts where it has positive buoyancy and when pushed down would come back up. I searched and found delrin split collars. I was thinking that I could use that as a spacer between the rudder and the hull. I don't know what is under the tiller knuckle. is there a bushing or a spacer that keeps the knuckle off the rudder base on deck. I have 2 grease fittings on the base that I assume lubricate the inside of the base.

the stuffing box is leaking. I measured the rudder post and it is 2 3/4 inches in diameter. the book says 1/4 inch wax hemp. here's the problem. the stuffing box is not like the one on the drive shaft. it has the 4 bolts in it and pics I seen that the top Is round and you would put 3 rings in it. well mine is bell shaped. I've gone up in size and 5/16. one ring fits in the bell and about 1/8 inch sticks out the bottom. my thoughts are that I can tighten it down, take the boat out and keep tightening it until it stops leaking.

any and all help is greatly appreciated

thanks
greg

admirals barge

Member III
rudder

hi christran

I've seen that pic. the top of my gland is bell shaped not round like in the picture. I don't have a zerk to grease, but will soon. I looked at a lot of glands online but have yet to see one bell shaped

thanks
greg

admirals barge

Member III
rudder

Christian

I took an old dried up piece of waxed hemp out of it. there wasn't enough of it to determine what size it was

thanks
greg

admirals barge

Member III
pic of rudder gland

christin

took pics of rudder gland yesterday. if you look close you can see that the bottom of the crown has a slight angle. the inside of the crown is concave. I put 1 wrap of 5/16 gfi in it and tightened it down all the way. will have to take the boat out to see if it still leaks.
the 5/16's gfi was about 1/3 inch proud.....I guess tightening down on the gland is the right thing to do. or do you tighten it down until it stops leaking....

thanks
greg

Attachments

• russer3.jpg
    russer3.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 31
  • rudder2.jpg
    rudder2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 14

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I believe this design is to be tightened down until both sides make full contact. It is not "adjustable" in the way that a shaft packing gland is, where pressure of packing against shaft can be varied.

All we can do is insert the correct packing size, smother the packing and rudder post with seacock grease, and tighten it all the way.

Seawater rises to this gland under power, or anytime the stern squats, but most of the time it's dry.

Grease improves the seal, the more grease the better. If there is a Zerk nipple on the rudder tube, pump the tube full.

The test for leaking is to motor at full speed and eyeball the rudder tube. If it doesn't leak then, it won't.

Last edited:

admirals barge

Member III
rudder post

thanks Christian

I did not put any grease on it when I put it together, I bought a 1/2 zerk to install. how close to the gland should the zerk be installed ?

I read the thread but didn't say where the zerk was located.

thanks

greg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Zerk installations I have seen are in a convenient position to reach, maybe 6" down from the packing gland.

I don't think it matters much.

The grease just has to enter the tube between the top and bottom bearings, and spread out from there. It also keeps the water from rising around the post inside the tube.

I'm not an expert, just going on my own analysis and a little experience.

admirals barge

Member III
rudder packing gland

hi Christian

took the boat out. the top of the gland is not leaking however it drips from the top of the rudder post and bottom of the packing gland plate...

it just drips. my thoughts are to go down from 5/16 to 7mm which might be a better fit and not so proud at the bottom of the gland.

no grease was used in the gland.

other then the zerk which I will install do you have any ideas ??

thanks

greg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
drips from the top of the rudder post and bottom of the packing gland plate...

The rudder post or the rudder tube?

Is the gland firmly attached to the tube? If not, gland packing not the issue.

Anyhow, as you propose, I would go down a size in packing and pack it with seacock grease (or any heavy marine grease) before reinstall.

You might not need to add to add the Zerk.

admirals barge

Member III
rudder stuffing gland

hi Christian

well the stuffing gland doesn't leak anymore.. the 5/16 although fit in the gland the water was still dripping so I put 1 ring of 3/8 on top and 1 ring of 5/16. tightened it down until it stopped leaking and full speed. its not down to the base of the rudder post which means I should have some adjustment when it starts to wear. see pic

thanks for all your help
greg