• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder tube?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
82 ERICSON 38

Is tube high enough above water line so No water comes in without rudder?
Can rudder be installed while in water?
Diver & sling...?
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230120_100258.jpg
    20230120_100258.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 16

Pete the Cat

Member III
Generally an inboard rudder tube is high enough to avoid water coming in---I have not seen one that would be different, but that should be easy to see by examining the boat--your picture does not help. I would think that it might be possible have the rudder put in with a sling and a diver, but it would be a tricky endeavor. I would be inclined to avoid this if there is a boatyard anywhere near. Seems like the opportunity to do damage to the rudder tube and bearings would be huge and not worth the cost of a boatyard's help. Just one opinion. i have dropped rudders in boatyards, but never done anything like what you are proposing. They can be heavy, very unweildy, and more than two people can manage in the boatyard situation. Sort of hard to imagine doing this in deep water. Small boat, shallow rudder, possibly.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Generally an inboard rudder tube is high enough to avoid water coming in---I have not seen one that would be different, but that should be easy to see by examining the boat--your picture does not help. I would think that it might be possible have the rudder put in with a sling and a diver, but it would be a tricky endeavor. I would be inclined to avoid this if there is a boatyard anywhere near. Seems like the opportunity to do damage to the rudder tube and bearings would be huge and not worth the cost of a boatyard's help. Just one opinion. i have dropped rudders in boatyards, but never done anything like what you are proposing. They can be heavy, very unweildy, and more than two people can manage in the boatyard situation. Sort of hard to imagine doing this in deep water. Small boat, shallow rudder, possibly.
Hi Pete, thanks for the input...
Don't I wish for a boat yard.
Splash day Monday, two 20 ton Cranes lift and walk it 200 yards across the sand beach at low tide.
Brace her on keel until 4pm with 8ft+ hightide .
She should lift off.
What I went through to build the new rudder I don't want damage in lift or Surf... No boat yards or travel lift in Nicaragua. Good strong divers, water depth has nothing to do with installing the rudder. Our mooring is in 30feet.
I'll post some pictures maybe? If interested.
THANKS AGAIN

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1674314525119.jpg
    FB_IMG_1674314525119.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 9

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don't you want to install the rudder on the beach? Dig a pit? Seems easier.
I like that idea, but it would depend on the surf break. You would not want to risk the rudder bouncing on the sand as the boat started floating on the incoming tide. The bay is exposed to the open sea, from the way it looks on an arial view.

Attachments

• SanJuanDelSur.jpeg
    SanJuanDelSur.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 5

peaman

Sustaining Member
What is the weight of the rudder in water? I think typically, a rudder should be close to neutral buoyancy, so installation afloat would need most effort for alignment and keeping it upright (it is top-heavy), and not so much for lifting the rudder. I have read of accounts of installations while afloat.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I've removed/installed rudders on two different boats using divers. One was a Catalina 30 and the other is my current Ericson 26-2. It's not that tricky with a good diver, and preferably two when it comes time to install the new one. (Removing the old one is done easily enough with one person.)

A few tips if you go this route:

(1) It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that the diver not attempt to force the rudder post up the tube by wiggling the post back and forth. As you can imagine, the ruder post is a very long lever arm, and especially when the post is first inserted into the tube, the diver may be tempted to wiggle it back and forth to get it started on his way. Make sure he knows that under no circumstances should he do that. He should (ideally with the help of a second diver) line up the rudder post so that it slides straight into the tube with no side-to-side levering. This will prevent damaging the the attachment of the tube to the hull.

(2) Your rudder may or may not be positively buoyant. When I replaced the rudder on my E26, it was brand new and therefore not waterlogged. It had a slight positive buoyancy. The diver I used, who was highly skilled, attached a 5# dive weight (I believe) to pull the blade down so that the rudder post was pointing up. He did the entire job himself, but was very careful about inserting the new rudder as I described. According to my notes, the whole process (removing the old/installing the new) took 20 minutes.

(3) Both of the boats on which I did this were smaller than yours. That may be yet another reason to have two quality divers do this rather than attempting it with only one.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
two 20 ton Cranes lift and walk it 200 yards across the sand beach at low tide.
Why not have them(2-20 ton Cranes) lift the boat high enough to install the rudder ? Oh Yeah now I read the part about protecting it form possible damage. A couple strong divers along with a safety sling of some sort should work. As Alan stated be sure they know not to try and force it at all, if it's aligned correctly it should slide right in. The tricky part may be getting the through bolt aligned so hopefully you can also communicate with them through that process.

Last edited:

JSM

Member III
Ralph, here is a link to a thread covering in water installation.