Running backstays

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
A couple quick questions... First, I recently acquired a staysail for my 35-2. I understand that to make everything fly properly running backstays must be installed from the staysail head to prevent the mast from bending, The question is does anyone know specifically how this is to be achieved? Where are the anchor points to be placed and what is used to provide tension ect. If someone has pics of these critters in action it would be great! While I am at it, between the chainplates for the lower shrouds there is a third chainplate looking protrusion. It is a stainless piece with a hole in the center and is up against the cabin house just below the portlights. Does anyone know why they exist? Thanks Edd

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Running backs

I assume you are talking abount a genoa staysail to be flown under a high clewed genoa/jib top reacher as opposed to a spinnaker staysail, since this was the common set up for the E 35-2 in the early days (and is still awesome in the right conditions with the right headsail). Unless you are doing some serious offshore voyaging I would not worry about getting running backs on this boat-as long as you are taking the time to set up the rig correctly using the forward and aft lower shrouds. The mast section on this boat is pretty beefy, and can handle these kinds of loads. You just want to be sure you haven't set the aft lowers so tight that the lower half of the mast is pulled aft. As long as the forward lowers are a little tighter than the aft lowers so you have just a hint of prebend you should be fine. I would suggest a backstay adjuster though, and if not, I would make sure you have enough backstay tension on to keep the mest from from being pulled forward out of column when the staysail is flying.

When you get the staysail, go sailing and sight up the windward side of the mast. As long as it is straight or has a slight aft bend all the way up you are OK. What you do not want to see is any out of column effect, or have the staysail pull the entire top of the rig forward. If the top section of the mast is slightly forward, but the overall curve is a gentle aft bend you will be fine.

You should have no trouble setting the rig up to be fine with this sail combo without runners. The later E boats with lighter, bendier rigs (32,34,35-3 and 38) would be better off with runners if one were to set up a double headsail rig like this.

I am not saying it would be bad thing, or that it may not offer some fine tuning advantages, but it should not be needed unless you are doing long offshore passages where this may be your primary headsail in very severe conditions. All of the genoa staysails I have built for E 35's, or seen used, were to improve reaching performance in the 5-25 knot wind range (and flown underneath headsails ranging from 170 t0 110%), and very few of them had running backs set up. Check out the brochure picture on this website-that is how they are used. No runners in that shot, and thatboat (Aquarius) was a successful racer back in the day.

If you did rig them, the inner forestay (if used-you can also build one with a built-in dyneema luff and free fly it, but it requires a good bit of halyard tension) would attach to the front face of the mast just above the pole topping lift/staysail halyard exit slot (or about midway between the spreaders and the masthead). The runners will attach to tangs on the sides of the mast at the same height. I would use dyneema or other low stretch line for the runners, and lead them to a block on the outer genoa track at a point just aft of the wheel (maybe 2-3' forward of the stern). You can lead them to a free winch on the windward side of the boat. They will only require enough tension to either stop any pumping of the mast (not too likely in most conditions), or to bring the top half of the mast back into column (even less likely with this mast section).

Good sailing!

S

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Thanks Seth. Somehow I knew it would be you that chimed in! I have acquired a complete mast and boom that will eventually replace mine with its 40 year old bare aluminum mast and 4' shortened mast. I figure that as it is in the back yard and not effecting my ability to sail, there is no reason not to go all out and make it perfect! It will eventually go up complete with all new standing and running rigging, spreaders, lights interments and antennas as I do plan to "point it west" when I retire in a couple years, so I guess I plan to do some "heavy offshore work" . and at this point adding the running backstays is relatively simple and cheep both in terms of money and insurance. The inner forestay is Incorporated into the sail and is Alas s/s, but looks to have probably never flown. I like the hank on sails and now have a complete set of headsails I think! ( an 85- a 110 a130 a heavy and a light 150 and a 180 the staysail and both a symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers and a small storm sail) Is there anything else? Now all I need to track down is a main that will fit the new boom and I should be in business. I have given some thought to keeping the old main and boom and setting up the mast with a second track as the old main is almost new and has a triple reef ( it seems strange to me as even flying full it has the area of a reefed main, So it must have been expected to sail in a hurricane!I swear I can get it down to under 40 sq. feet) Anyway would you have any thought on that matter? Thanks again Edd:egrin:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Christmas list???

How about a spinnaker staysail? These boats love them between about 110- 170 AWA, and between about 8-25 knots of TWS (under a spinnaker of course):egrin:. If you don't have one and are shopping, go for the smaller, higher aspect type (also known as a "dazy staysail"-introduced in the 1970's by the Holland 40 Golden Dazy during the Canada's Cup). These are faster over a wider range of windspeeds and angles than the older, larger "big boy" types, and work very well as a windseeker in drifting conditions. Drop the headsail, and tack the staysail at the bow and use it like a jib. The lack of an overlapping headsail in drfiting conditions will help keep the main full, and is a great way to get the boat going after coming to a screeching halt. Once you get to a solid 2-2.5 knots you can sneak the genoa or spinnaker back up and go on your way.

When using it under a kite at deep angles, move the tack out to the first stanchion base aft of the pulpit to get it out in front of the mainsail-but remember to adjust the lead position accordingly or you will twsit the top off and lose effectiveness in the top part of the sail.

Back to the headsail thing, I would take a look at your 130 and be sure the clew is high enough for the genoa staysail to be effective underneath it. I am sure the 180 has a high enough clew, and when your are in double headsail mode, I would go straight from the 180 to the 130, and leave the 150's as they are for optimal upwind work. Otherwise, nice inventory.

You won't need those runners very often, but since it is easy, it will be nice to know you can set them up if the spirit moves you.

Happy trails,