"Sail Caddy" for sale

Kim Schoedel

Member III
I purchased this Main Sail Management system early this year and will be replaceing it with a Lazy Jack system this weekend. It does what it is supposed to do but I want more for single handled sailing, hence the new L/J system. Purchase price was $180.00 US. Very easy to install. Not too sure what to ask for it but don't need it in the garage with other various boat things.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Hi Kim I am interested. Can you please provide more info on this system? A web link or maybe some pics.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Tim, the web site is: http://www.sailcaddy.com/ and my email is kschoedel@aiains.com if you would like to converse off the record. I think we have the same boats. This is my work email and I will be out of the office from noon today and tomorrow for a conference and back in Monday, Oct 2nd. You can also call me at work 509-535-9488 before noon today.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Kim, what was it about the sail caddy system that didn't meet your needs while single handing, as well as the lazy jack system you are planning on using? I single hand quite frequently, and want to ensure that I make the right decision in the future.
thanks,
Frank.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Frank, being on a lake with changeing winds, a cross wind can grab the sail before I get a sail tie or two on, and pull the sail out of the caddy onto the deck. This system works great in a wind with no or just slight shifts in direction. As well it works great when you have someone (who gets it) at the helm that can steer/adjust to the wind shifts.

I do like the simplicity of the Sail Caddy but love to winter sail solo and on my old boat with Lazy Jacks I could just drop the sail and worry about proper flaking and tieing back at the dock. The weight of my current main is such that if it does dump out of the caddy, I have a hard time wrestleing the thing back on top again. So basically have to hoist the main back up and start over.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks, Kim. Very helpful information. I wish the sails on our boats weren't quite so heavy--mine is hard work to lift and flake as well. :esad:
Frank.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sorry Kim. I will stick with my lazy jacks even though the DPO did a lousy job installing them.

Tim

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Tim and Frank,

I just installed "jiffy jax" after removing the Sail Caddy. Check out jiffyjax.com. Works just great. I purchased the 10' to 15' main sail foot length as my foot is 12'. This is the 3 line system.