Sail measurements for old E26

notsew

I just got a 1969 26'. I was lucky enough to get it for free and overall it is in pretty decent shape (aside from the usual wear from sitting in a yard for the last 7 or 8 years) and I'm in the process of spiffing her up. I'm a starving college student and I am planning on getting some used sails. I am looking for the sail measurements for that vintage so I can scour the internet for a deal.

I was going to try to measure the IJPE but in my experience that never is more than a guestimate, I would rather just have the luff, leach and foot.
I found a site that gave the IJPE measurements for the king designed 26, but my understanding is that this vintage was designed by crealock and I thought maybe the sail sizes might be different.

thanks in advance for any comments

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Old 26

Wel, let's see what we can find...here it is: I=30.75, J=10.21, P=26.05, E=11.0.

Crealock's suggested dimensions for some of the sails:
Main-obvious-P X E

Headsails are Luff X Leech X Foot
150%: 30.75 x 29.66 x 16.15; Lp= 15.3
120%: 29 x 25.75 x 13.7; LP=12.25 (designer calls for a 20" head pennant on tihs-not needed, though)
Working jib: 27 x 22.7 x 11.83 (with 42" pennant)

Of course, given the relatively low cost of sails this small, it is almost NEVR worth it to buy used sails. The chance of getting something that is worth it is quite small.

You can reach me via this forum if you want to proced or need more info-send me a private message if you like.
Congrats and good luck!

notsew

Thanks for the info seth.

Are used sails really all that bad? I think owning the boat period is a bit beyond my means, my girlfriend keeps refering to it as a disease. If they are a bad option, do you have any suggestion to look for less expensive new sails? my local sail maker up here doen't quite fit that description

Forrest

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh Sail, Where art Thou?

I like Seth's advice, but that's not so unusual....
:)
As to finding used sails for your model of boat, I see the problem from another angle. Small, older production cruisers are typically owned by a succession of owners that never replace ANY sails or lines until they fall apart. The owners view these boats as "transitional" boats and are loathe to spend a nickel on maint. when they find that the cost of a new dacron main, jib, and genny is more than the retail value of the boat.

No problem if you are keeping the boat for 5 to 10 years and will amortize the expenses with usage and joy on the water, though.
So, when the owner finally takes the bagged-out sail in to consign it, it has no real value to anyone. Since he is giving up 1/3 of the receipt to pay the commission, he asks way too much for something that probably ought to be free.
:eek:
If you have contacted a reputable sailmaker (like someone I could name on this Forum) and the price seems beyond your budget, there is another possibility or two. [Hey, it's a long shot... but here we go...]
Write down your complete measurements for main and jib, and disregard that you associate these numbers with an "Ericson 26." Now talk to the sail loft for several national sailmakers about "returns and rejects." It is certainly a long shot but they might have one somewhere that is a good fit for your boat. These are sails that were accidently built to a wrong measurement spec. but are up to all their construction standards. I have a friend that sourced a new main for his 34 footer that way, at half price.

Plan B: Review the measurements for a bunch of actively-campaigned small boats with rigs your size, and see if some have sails that would fit you -- then make contacts with racing fleets and lofts and locate owners that are selling one or two-year-old sails that are no longer perfect enough in their hotly-competitive fleets.
"Plan B" calls for some imagination... but it reminds me of the time I finally unloaded the tired-out mylar 140 that came with my '88 Olson 34, at my third try, at the big spring swap meet in Seattle. I got only $50. The new owner was sailing a full keel 38 footer on a tight budget and was delighted. For that price he and his wife got a sail with good shape and several patches and a whole lot of pin holes in the mylar layer...
:)
And I got the monster the heck out of my basement! And, yes, he was walking around with an exact set of his rig measurements and a long tape measure.

I previously unloaded a tired dacron #2 genny for $100. But then, I try not to bring any stuff back home once I take it to a swap meet...
:D

So, double-check those measurments, and start shopping. And, have Seth look around his loft attic, too.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Used sails

Thanks Loren-those are very good ideas for "notsew". I have to admit, after doing the research on the sizes, being asked for source of "less expensive new sails" was a little hard to take.

With sails, you get what you pay for. Cheap prices equal cheap sails. Our prices are very reasonable for top quality sails, and you get the personal touch from an involved professional. Go cheap and "offshore" and you are on your own. Good luck if you have any problems with those cheap sails.

Sails are your engine, and you would not take this approach with the engine on your car, would you?

In any case, Loren has the right idea as a possible alternative to buying new sails.

Good times!

notsew

Sorry Seth I didn't mean to be offensive. I didn't know you are a sailmaker.

I'm just a guy who loves sailing, really wants to get on the water and can't afford to spend a years worth of tuition on a new set of sails.

Thanks again for the sail sizes, it was very helpful

Forrest

Seth

Sustaining Partner
sails

I understand-I was just hoping to keep you from throwing away good money.
Generally speaking, used sails are not a great idea-ESPECIALLY for boats this small. This is because of the relatively small difference between good used sails and new sails. The point being is that if you can't afford new sails, you likley can't afford used sails that are any good (this can be different foir bigger boats).

What you DEFINITELY can't afford are "cheap" new sails. You will find they won't last as long, as you may spend a lot more than the intial cost to fix things that may not be right.
This is not ALWAYS the case, but is a risk with cheap sails.

Loren's ideas to search those resources may be your best bet, and like everyone else here, you can always run something by me if you have a question.

Good luck!