SailGP Exclusion Zone?

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
This weekend (July 13/14) the foiling SailGP races are off Crissy Field in SFBay... and there is an exclusion zone you have to stay out of... and I can't seem to find any information about where it is.

Does anyone know? If so, please post here : )

Separately, Google and the 'Local Notice to Mariners' have both failed me... I have no idea where to even find this information. I cannot believe it is not on some official USCG/NOAA type site, but... I cannot find it. Knowing where to find such information seems even more important than the immediate question of where this weekend's exclusion area is (presumably roughly STFYC - Blossom rock - Alcatraz - South Tower -- STFYC or something).

Posting here because this seems like a local SFBay question... unsure if anyone will see it, though.

PS: Found this sketch deep in the SailGP site:
Still unclear to me why, if they are blocking off the entire primary eastbound shipping lane, this exclusion zone information is not in the LNTM.

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I had to take a second look myself but it does show where the course is in relation to the shoreline and Alcatraz island. They also mention that it will be outlined by “large visible triangular orange buoys at regular intervals”.

IMG_4317.jpeg

safe passage.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
From my experiences with running races, the USCG Notice to Mariners is the overriding Authority on all water uses or "restrictions".
When local groups fail to complete the application and then later complain that boats were "in their way", they have no "rights."

(A number of years ago the local Large Powerboat Clubs that put on an annual Opening Day parade muffed/forgot the permit requirement. A local sailing YC obtained a permit for a race series on the same day. The parading vessels complained loudly to the USCG and the River Patrol about the sail boats getting their way (!). First the authorities informed them that they had NO permit, and the sailors did. Then the RC graciously moved the course to leave room for the chastised paraders. )

So my take on this would be that a permit must be present, somewhere in the works, and a last minute Notice to Mariners will suddenly appear. Otherwise the injury liability lawyers may be fully employed. :confused: Oh My.

In addition: I scanned their 'rules' and found this beauty:

What are the rules on water?

Standard Maritime Regulations apply at all times.

Last edited: