• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sea Scout Ship 501 needs Stanchions/Liflines for Ericson 25

johnnybgood

Hey guys, I represent Sea Scout 501 out of Sebastian Florida and we were donated a 1975 25'. Its in decent conditon and really only needs some esthec work and she"ll be ready to sail. One problem-The sailor that donated the vessel removed all the stachions and Lifelines around the gunnels of the boat. We have 9 of the stanchion Plates(Missing port aft), but no stanchions or lifline. I'm assuming we could use 3/8 nylon for the lifline, but would pefer to have ss cable. Any suggestions on where we could find OEM Stanchions? Thanks

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
OEM supplier to ERICSON for stanchions and railings is still in business and has the original specs and fixtures! Try : Railmakers www.railmakers.com (949)642-6506 864 W.18th St. Costa Mesa, Ca. 92627. Hope this helps, Edd

AleksT

Member III
I have never seen a stanchion that would have a hole big enough for 3/8 line. You should use cable both for strength and longevity. Any fiber type line will degrade in the sun and chafe relatively quickly.

johnnybgood

AleksT-Thanks for your input-I guess I meant 1/4" nylon and your right-nylon won't last. But the cost of SS Cable is outragious and we are a Sea Scout Ship with limited resources. Even the Stanchions are going to be expensive-unless we can find some used ones or someone can donate them to our cause, but safety is the big factor! We have not taken the kids out on the boat because of it.

C Masone

Perfect Storm
Sounds like you guys need to have a pancake breakfast!

AleksT-Thanks for your input-I guess I meant 1/4" nylon and your right-nylon won't last. But the cost of SS Cable is outragious and we are a Sea Scout Ship with limited resources. Even the Stanchions are going to be expensive-unless we can find some used ones or someone can donate them to our cause, but safety is the big factor! We have not taken the kids out on the boat because of it.

Here's what our Boy Scouts would do.

1 Borrow space from a church or fire department
2 Stand in front of a supermarket and sell tickets
3 Be prepared to make a ton of pancakes!
4 Buy the materials you need to make the lifelines.

IslandTime29

Member II
Being an Eagle Scout, I can readily recommend the Pancake Breakfast! At least in Nashville, Tenn, we used to make around $1,500 on a Sunday morning. We started the breakfast at 7am, so folks had enough time to eat before church service. We were sponsored by a large church, so that helped.

I would also contact area marine supply stores and boat companies. It will surprise you how many former Scouts and Eagle Scouts are out there. Many in my experience are more than willing to help in anyway they can.

Good luck, as this is a great program that blends two things I hold dear, Scouting and sailing.