• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Seawater not pumping through engine

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I’ll see if I can find a straight fitting . For now, soaking in white wine vinegar.. :) ( that’s all we had in the cabinet). Not sure that will do anything.

Attachments

• 8D7392C6-5867-4603-9D48-1F8F13599145.jpeg
    8D7392C6-5867-4603-9D48-1F8F13599145.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 6

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
My wife ( aka “the nuclear power plant design engineer - ret.” ) suggests that the L fitting may be flow restricted by design . The inside appears to be clean but inflow / outflow connected by a smaller hole inside. This is to prevent over pressuring the downstream component ( the elbow ) . So she said I should be cautious about putting any old fitting on it . ’mmmm

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The fitting that came on my Yanmar mixing elbow is straight.

20170429_233102.jpg

I don't think the hose fitting is a "designed" flow restriction. As water passes from the hose to the mixing elbow it enters a larger ID water jacket at the top of the elbow.

Water Jacket.jpg

When the cooler seawater hits the hot exhaust elbow, it vaporizes and leaves behind mineral deposits. With an L-shaped hose fitting, much of this is happening at the bend in the fitting itself. That is where my OEM fitting was blocked.

Clogged elbow.jpg

A straight fitting should clog less quickly, however that may just mean that more mineral buildup is occuring inside the water jacket.

If there is a design element to the L-shaped hose fitting, I'd guess that is it: To cause the flash-boiling and buildup to occur outside of the water jacket, in a fitting that is easily removable.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Conclusion: the L-fitting was clogged. Soaked in vinegar for 48 hours and then cleaned it with a bottle brush . An iPhone light is good for this task . Took about an hour to clean. You can shine light in one end and see how clear it is in the other . The fitting has no built in restrictions . It was narrowing due to the buildup . Reassembled everything and now I have 2-3 times water flow that I had before it clogged completely, but I didn’t know what was normal flow because I think it’s been partially clogged since I bought the boat . I’m looking forward to lower engine temperatures when I motor out next time .
Thank you all for your generous assistance and support. It is very much appreciated !

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good to be reminded. Our engine plumbing is full of 90-degree turns, which typically suffer salt buildup, if nothing else. And it's easy to clear.

1-water pump, raw, salt, Ericson 38.JPG

Pete the Cat

Member III
Thanks for the info and thread Christian. That address for the radiator shop you used in LA (Blanco Brothers) looked familiar and as it turns out its just a few blocks from my mother-in-law’s house in Koreatown. The Drake tool looks like an oversized dental pick. Not sure how to use it, but it‘s cheap enough to order. (and all the tools I’ll ever need will cost must less than a trip to the marine diesel mechanic). You’re right about getting a small socket wrench..I ended up buying a small 3” 90 degree ratchet screwdriver wrench, but I think just a small 1/4 socket wrench would work better (which I don’t apparently have)... Add an LED headlamp to the list, especially with my poor near vision.
A 5/16" socket works well on most hose clamps. I use a socket on the end of an electric screwdriver or compact drill driver. This speeds up the process a lot and makes it easy. This setup is cheap when compared to taking things to the boat yard. After 40 years, I have learned to invest in the specific tools for various jobs on my boats so that I am not reluctant to pull things apart and inspect and service them. It is also possible that you have a blocked connection to the exhaust elbow water injection site--the injection point in the elbow is vulnerable to clogs. Might be time to pull that off if problems coninue. Heat exchangers need regular service and exhaust elbows are meant to be inspected replaced periodically. Worked on mine today when replacing the zincs.