• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Seeking recommendation for chainplate replacement work in the Annapolis/Chesapeake area

E-41

Does anyone know or recommend someone (or a competent marine repair shop) qualified enough to substitute old chainplates for new ones on an Ericson 41 in the Annapolis / Chesapeake Bay area?

p.gazibara

Member III
Is it you who had new SS ones made up to be glasses back in?

If that wasn’t you, I’d consider vac bagged carbon chainplates, especially if you are bonding them to the hull like the originals. Composite chainplates remove the biggest point of failure from the equation, water intrusion.

-p

E-41

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I haven't decided on what to do yet, so it certainly wasn't me - the person that has had SS chainplates done. I'm still pondering if I should repair the boat or sell it for close to nothing. However, if I repair it, I am very intrigued about your suggestion. I had never heard of composite carbon chainplates until I read your post. I did a quick internet search on the subject and there's not much. If this is viable from a point of view of fabrication and cost, you are certainly correct about eliminating the biggest cause of failure - water intrusion. On the other hand, I also wonder about the yield strength of such plates as compared to SS and how long they'd last, as I assume this is a new concept without a lot of history to back it up. Do you know of any fabricator that I could talk to? Thanks again!

p.gazibara

Member III
It’s pretty viable, especially if you were doing them all at once.

Basically carbon unidirectional cloth is wrapped around a tube above deck and down onto the bulkhead/hull structural member. The whole mess is vacuum bagged with epoxy resin.

The deck is then filled back in/glassed over and you have a chainplate that will never leak and last forever.

Something like this:

I only suggest it because I believe the 41 had glassed in chainplates, if you went through the effort of removing them, I would much rather put something composite in their place rather than glassing back in SS.

-p