Selection of new propane stove for E32-3

peaman

Sustaining Member
I intend to install a new Force 10 propane stove on my 32-3 to replace the now-removed original GSI CNG unit. It looks like I have room to install a 3-burner "NA standard" unit, with only a minor (1/2") lowering of the pivot location, and maybe relocation of the safety bar inboard from the stove. I think the pivot will need to be lowered no matter which of the four Force 10 stoves under consideration (2- or 3- burner, standard oven or compact) in order to clear the stowable work surface.

I would be very interested to hear of any other 32-3 owners who have installed a Force 10 stove who might have any insights on how their installation went.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I have a 2-burner Force10 installed about 10 years ago by the PO - fits and works well.
Great! It would be really helpful if you could check some dimensions for me, assuming the model hasn't much changed in 10 years.

I wonder what is the height of your casing at the front: the current "standard" unit is 21.5", while the "compact" unit is 19.2"

And then, how big is the oven compartment, approximately?

Thanks for any and all information you can share.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I can't get those measurements until the weekend after next. But I will. I have a copy of the Manual on-board - maybe it has detailed specs.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would not be too surprised to find that EY sized the width for their range installations the same way that the Olson's were designed. i.e. there is enough width for the wider American standard width.

For ranges built to the (approx. 2 inch narrower) Euro standard the extra room could be used up with by mounting some teak spacer blocks on each side. That is how our gimbaling supports are mounted. Our Origo range is built to the narrower Euro standard width.
This cabinet design should hopefully give flexibility in replacing the old OEM range.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
A Force 10 3 burner wouldn't fit on my E38 at least if you want it to swing on the gimbals, I went with a 2 burner model and it fits perfectly.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I can't get those measurements until the weekend after next. But I will. I have a copy of the Manual on-board - maybe it has detailed specs.
Thanks. The exterior dimensions are available, but obviously, the oven interior dimensions are pretty sigificant, too. Force 10 web site shows oven volume, but not dimensions. The 2 burner standard model has a whopping 31% greater oven volume than the 2 burner compact model. I look forward to seeing what you have.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our Origo has enough oven room for a small pan for baking (cookies & rolls), but sometimes more width would be better. Finding a smaller width double-layer non stick pan took some searching, and then we lucked into a set of them at a Target store.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Our Origo has enough oven room for a small pan for baking (cookies & rolls), but sometimes more width would be better. Finding a smaller width double-layer non stick pan took some searching, and then we lucked into a set of them at a Target store.
This is exactly what worries me.

peaman

Sustaining Member
A Force 10 3 burner wouldn't fit on my E38 at least if you want it to swing on the gimbals, I went with a 2 burner model and it fits perfectly.
Hello, Groton. My boat is by Noank.

I wonder if you have the "standard" or "compact" model, and if you have felt at all limited by the oven capacity. The location of the safety bar seems to be the problem with the 3 burner model for me, and it would be a real pain to relocate properly.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Hello, Groton. My boat is by Noank.

I wonder if you have the "standard" or "compact" model, and if you have felt at all limited by the oven capacity. The location of the safety bar seems to be the problem with the 3 burner model for me, and it would be a real pain to relocate properly.
I don't know I thought I had the 2 burner standard model. As for the oven it works perfectly no issues. PM if you'd like visit my boat to see the oven I'm around the corner at SYC.

peaman

Sustaining Member
So, after careful consideration, I will install a 2-burner "NA Standard" Force 10 stove. The Force 10 web site shows the oven volume for each model, and Defender gives the dimensions of the grate for the 3-burner standard oven. From those, I was able to estimate relative oven sizes. Of the four models I considered, 2-burner standard, 3-burner standard, 2-burner compact, and 3-burner compact, I figure the 3-burner standard is 2.1" deeper (front to back) than the other models (12.8" vs 10.7"), and that the oven cavity on the standard models is 2.1" higher than the compact models (8.7" vs 6.6"). After looking at the beautiful new 2-burner standard stove on kiwisailor's KIWI, we have decided to get an identical one. There is plenty of vertical room on our boat for the taller standard model, but the 3-burner unit would have exceeded the available plan space without major issues.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Great! It would be really helpful if you could check some dimensions for me, assuming the model hasn't much changed in 10 years.

I wonder what is the height of your casing at the front: the current "standard" unit is 21.5", while the "compact" unit is 19.2"

And then, how big is the oven compartment, approximately?

Thanks for any and all information you can share.
I finally remembered to get those measurements today:
Oven internal dimensions are:
12" deep; 17" wide; 11.5" high
Outside dimensions are:
20.25 wide; 14.5" deep; I forgot to measure height - I think it's about 19" high