Selling my Ericson 30+ advice

Saullincer

Member I
I recently sailed my boat from Portland Oregon to San Francisco and have decided to let her go. She is in great shape. I spent the last 5 years updating an repairing. Of course spent way too much money. What is the best way to set a fair price and how would you go about selling a boat remotely? (I'm in Portland boat is in Alameda.) Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I guess if it were me, I'd engage a yacht broker. The logistics are otherwise daunting.

A broker will have a recommended price, since price varies with local market. Finding one may require telephoning around, or maybe our colleagues in SF have a name. Brokers here (in LA) tend to prefer 30K asking, as less fails to energize their salesmen. It's all a judgement call, so if you visit SF shake some broker hands.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If you don't want to talk with brokers, spending some time on the Yacht world web site, especially if you look in your region at comparable boats in similar condition--Ericson, C & C, etc. you can begin to determine a reasonable asking price.
Frank

Saullincer

Member I
If you don't want to talk with brokers, spending some time on the Yacht world web site, especially if you look in your region at comparable boats in similar condition--Ericson, C & C, etc. you can begin to determine a reasonable asking price.
Frank
Thank You, I've done some of that already.
I guess if it were me, I'd engage a yacht broker. The logistics are otherwise daunting.

A broker will have a recommended price, since price varies with local market. Finding one may require telephoning around, or maybe our colleagues in SF have a name. Brokers here (in LA) tend to prefer 30K asking, as less fails to energize their salesmen. It's all a judgement call, so if you visit SF shake some broker hands.
Thank you both for sharing your wisdom.
Saul

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member

I think you will find that many of the SF Bay yacht brokers will have a minimum value of boat they will broker. Usually around $40K or $50 because their commissions need to be enough to cover the hassle and legal issues. You could try Latitude 38 as I have sold two boats there. Very intense local readership of Bay Area sailors. FWIW.

TKBLACK

Member II
I recently sailed my boat from Portland Oregon to San Francisco and have decided to let her go. She is in great shape. I spent the last 5 years updating an repairing. Of course spent way too much money. What is the best way to set a fair price and how would you go about selling a boat remotely? (I'm in Portland boat is in Alameda.) Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.
I recently sailed my boat from Portland Oregon to San Francisco and have decided to let her go. She is in great shape. I spent the last 5 years updating a repairing. Of course spent way too much money. What is the best way to set a fair price and how would you go about selling a boat remotely? (I'm in Portland boat is in Alameda.) Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.
Firstly post your information and post photos on EYo.
So much is now done with money wire transfers and digital paper work that you probably can sell yourself after setting up an escrow account. However, a local broker can more easily show the vessel for you. Have you any person near the vessel to help?
TKBLACK