Setting up the ST4000MK2 wheelpilot

Luffin it

Member I
Has anyone setup a wheel pilot on a 27 Ericson? I've got it all set up but am having problems with it holding course down wind and also when I'm motoring at over 4. knots it has problems once it's starts truing itself starboard. It continues starboard and tries to fight it's way back but it doesn't seem to work that well. Is it because of the prop torque? I noticed on standby it is much tuff'er to turn the wheel port and real easy to turn starboard. Do I need to modify the dealer set-up when using the autopilot this way or am I expecting to much? It works great holding the boat in to the wind while I raise the sails and sail on the close reach. I haven't gotten much time to play with it at this point but if anyone has any numbers there using I'd like to try them.

Last edited:

stbdtack

Member III
wheelpilot.....

So does it then correct back to port?

Try going into the dealer setup (press and hold STDBY for about 10 secs, comes up after the sftware version page) Page through until you see "Drive Type". Press +1 to toggle to "Type 2"

This will help with an over steering problem. Not sure about the difference in left and right turning friction....

BTW, how many turns lock to lock on E27?

Ben

GMaurer

Member II
I installed the same unit on my E28 a couple years ago. Same type of problems, and Raymarine gave me numerous changes in the control settings. Helped, but not completely.
If you want me to post, let me know. I'll have to get them this weekend.
Greg