Sewing Machine's

Walt Boughner

There have been discussions on the sailnet group concerning sewing machines. It seems to be generating a lot of interest so I felt I could pass on some information as to what I have found successful. I have made the curtains for my E27 which are shown on this forum. I have also made front and main hatch covers and a tiller cover out of sunbrella material. I use an old Singer. It was built and sold in the 50's and was really built. No zig zag but will do forward and reverse. As the latest article in This Old Boat points out-- look for a machine with no plastic gears or belts on the inside of the machine. A rubber belt from the motor to the wheel is OK. It's inside the machine that you don't want the belt. I bought this machine at a yard sale for 20 dollars as best I remember. There are several models to chose from but stick with a full size machine.

I use the singer needle style 2020 size 110/18. This is a heavy duty needle for Denim, Duck or upholstery fabrics. I also use upholstery thread. These items can be bought at a store like Jo Ann Faberics or even Wal-Mart sells them in the sewing department. You may have to adjust the tensions on the machine when you go to the heavier thread and needles. I am sure I could patch a sail but these machines wouldn't do the really heavy work around the Clew and such. For serious sail work you would need an industrial machine which can be found at yard sales at times. Ya just got to keep looking.

I'm going to try to attach a couple of pictures of the machine I'm using.

See Ya,
Walt

Attachments

• singer 2.jpg
    singer 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 175