sewing machines

steven

Sustaining Member
I've got so much canvas (sail cover, winch covers, dodger, . . . ) to renew, it appears cost effective Paula and I to get a sewing machine and do it ourselves. So went to Sailrite in Annapolis today looked at their units. Anybody have experience with these machines? Are there alternatives?

Thanks

--Steve

Glyn Judson

What sewing machine to buy?

Steve, Or this Singer on eBay 360288113505, same model as Keith suggests plus even more affordable and brand new. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

CSMcKillip

I don't know if this will help or not but I bought a heavy duty brother. It's a POS. The sunbrella will be 3 folds thick at any butt seam to tuck the loose threads in, if you join to ends you are now 6 deep, the room under the machine is really small so you will find yourself with a ton of pins and seam tape with layers of material gathered up trying to go thru that small space. The LS1 is great for sewing canvas and the LZ1 is for sails and other material you need a zig zag pattern, but take a look at how many times the needle goes thru the material on a Z run.

There are several commercial machines that have the raised arm, and are longer for the amount of material your going to put thru the space between the needle and the base.

I just got a Singer Ultra light from my grandmother, the machine is bullet proof but is a little small but I am planning on sewing a top cover for our 33. It's several panels of material, about 15'x10 I am hoping the singer does a better job due to the offset Motor, drive belt, and a handle on the drum.

If I was in the market I would buy a LS1.

Emerald

Hi Steve,

since you're in Annapolis, you need to go check out Bacon's. They have used sewing machines, and I've seen several used SailRite machines for sale there.

HughHarv

Hugh
Used sewing machines

A while back I bought an old h.d. pfaff 230 machine and cabinet for a $100 from a craigslist advertiser. The machine is cast metal and is in good shape so I bought it. At home it sewed four layers of 8 oz sail material together and the manual says it'll sew leather and canvas with a 110 needle and 50/3 thread. If I ever get to go cruising, it'll be a part of the boat inventory.:cool:

dwigle

Member III
I've had the basic Sailrite zig-zag machine for a few years, and it's worked reasonably well though it does occasionally need some attention. My greatest complaint would be the size as it takes some creative folding of fabric to get some of the larger projects through the gap between the foot and the rest of the body.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably do more research and look for a used commercial machine with a good table.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8
Pt Richmond, CA

Sven

Seglare
We have a Sailrite LSZ-1 that we bought 5-6 years ago. The many simple projects we've used it for has made it easily pay for itself. Other than an ugly outboard cover for La Petite it isn't even all that obvious that I'm not a seamstress :egrin:

-Sven

Glyn Judson

What sewing machine to get??

Sven, Sorry to hear about your ugly outboard cover but you might have gotten a bad model. Several years ago they were mistakenly selling the Sailwrong LSZ-1 and I'll bet you got one of those without realizing it. I'll bet that's why your outboard cover came out the way it did. Glyn

Sven

Seglare
Glyn,

shouldn't you be sorting doggie socks or something ? :rolleyes_d::)

See you at the Isthmus this weekend ?

-Sven

DannyG

nice

reading this is much more fun then work... so what should i buy?:confused:
Sailrite LSZ

Last edited:

tdtrimmer

Member II
Singer 237

I decided to try sewing my own canvas several years ago. I asked several experts and they all recommended a Singer 237. This machine was made in the 60's and has all metal gears. I have purchased several for under $50 on eBay and Craigs List (one for the boat and one for the shop). The machine is perfect for the job. I use it to sew through many layers of Sunbrella and even 30 mil Strataglass. It's great for sewing zippers also. You can get parts on eBay. I purchased a walking foot on eBay which helps when sewing slippery material like Strataglass.

DannyG

I decided to try sewing my own canvas several years ago. I asked several experts and they all recommended a Singer 237. This machine was made in the 60's and has all metal gears. I have purchased several for under $50 on eBay and Craigs List (one for the boat and one for the shop). The machine is perfect for the job. I use it to sew through many layers of Sunbrella and even 30 mil Strataglass. It's great for sewing zippers also. You can get parts on eBay. I purchased a walking foot on eBay which helps when sewing slippery material like Strataglass.

thank u for the suggestion.... found 2 units on E-bay... 1 was $50 including s&h d 2nd was $56 also including s&h...
waiting to get the 2 units ;)

CSMcKillip

I got my old singer 222 out the other day, I have ordered 18 yards of pacific blue to make a top cover for the boat during the winter time. I got 3/8 seam tape, v92 thread and I got some #16 needles for the machine.

I will have my progress on my blog and will have updates, I made one for our capri and it was great, covers the deck from the mast back to the bottom of the companionway hatch, it also covers all of the ports.