Shaft Alignment

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Sometimes no matter how perfect everything is these boats can they can still exhibit some vibrations that may not be associated with the shaft, prop, cutlass or alignment. Also two blade props are just not as smooth as a three.

To help cut vibrations in the boat, Yanmar specs really soft mounts for their 3 banger diesels. Trying to get perfect alignment on one of these is like chasing your tail. Round and round you go, till finally you just set it, and forget it!:)

jcamesano

Inactive Member
Hi Everyone.

Hello to all. Hope I'm not straying too far here but my experience seems worth sharing IMHO. I lived with an annoying low RPM squeal for years, tried cutlass bearing replacement and engine alignment, head scratching etc. Finally took prop in for reconditioning. Bingo, no more squeal. Best 85 bucks I ever spent on her(73 E28 with A4.) Happy sailing to those currently able, and for the rest of us, hope for an early spring! John @ Wilson, NY

Maine Sail

Member III
Hello to all. Hope I'm not straying too far here but my experience seems worth sharing IMHO. I lived with an annoying low RPM squeal for years, tried cutlass bearing replacement and engine alignment, head scratching etc. Finally took prop in for reconditioning. Bingo, no more squeal. Best 85 bucks I ever spent on her(73 E28 with A4.) Happy sailing to those currently able, and for the rest of us, hope for an early spring! John @ Wilson, NY

If the tips become too sharp, not blunt, they can "sing". Glad you found it...

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Maine Sail....

Maine Sail, how do the blades get too sharp rather than blunt--I would think that blade movement through the water would make them more blunt rather than less over time. Can you explain?

Thanks for your ongoing informative posts!

Frank

jcboyce

On the subject of stuffing boxs:
1. Parts dealers will try to sell you exhaust hose, about 18 years ago they were the same. Now days most exhaust hoses are either 2 ply or wire reinforced. rather then the 4 ply. I had a parts dealer pull a new stuffing box to prove me wrong. then he contacted his distributor, now they stock the stuffing box hose, about 18 years ago they were the same. (since they are shipped in 8" lengths they are cot curved.)
2. If you removed the strut, you have to re-align it. If you just pulled the keepers and drove out the bearing, put in a new one, put in the shaft, assemble the stuffing box on the shaft, with the hose, slide them in place, the put on 2 clamps at each end. (You can either install the engine in the yard, or launch the vessel, then put it in where the vessel is not sitting blocked up in the yard.) Put the bolt in and tighten them. all of the holes should already be ther.
3. after at least 48 hours, you can align the engine. the other way is like drilling the hole for the shaft log through the bottom. Not fun even with a jig.
May you have calm seas, & fair winds
Boyce