Ship's Maint. Log ponderings...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since this is the most popular Forum here, it seems like a proper place to ask about logs, specifically a maint. log for the propulsion system and all the other ship's systems.
Admittedly there are some general ones at the chandlery, with yachty-looking teak or leather covers... but they really do not seem to have much to offer except a column for your oil change dates and pages for calendar date listing your repairs to stuff.

I have been getting by for years with with a notebook and lined paper. Truth is, this has become somewhat like throwing all my files into one folder on the computer desktop... after a while there is so much stuff there that you spend too much time designing sort criteria! :)
And the paper version has pages of scribbled entries!

Creating sub folders on the computer solves that sort problem, but what is needed is a really useful paper version for the boat.

What I have in mind is a printed outline form for each system, under the major heading of "engine" or "drinking water system" or "waste management" or "electrical" or.... well, you get the idea. Of course "rigging" and other deck gear could have its own section(s).

After the title page for Engine, would be a Mechanical Maint. section, a Raw Water section, Closed Cooling section, Lube oil -- sub sections for crankcase and transmission. And so on. The Electrical would break down to AC and then DC distribution and then to Loads like Pumps, Refrigeration, and Instruments.
I can produce this, obviously, but am adverse to reinventing the wheel...
:rolleyes:

Anyone found or built up such a log? I am not adverse to using software, but when sitting at the nav table and studying this stuff, I much prefer it in a 12-point font printed form... no electricity needed. :nerd:

Note that once it exists on the computer, it could easily be saved out in RTF or PDF pages for printing (or sharing) -- If you all wanted to collaborate in inventing something like this, that is....

Food for Thought.
Ya Think?

Loren

:cheers:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
If you write one, I hope you will make it available to the rest of us; I have thought about it but done nothing yet.

I think digital version is the way to go, for two reasons: firstly, it would make it more readily available to post in responses here; secondly, if I were to write up on paper everything I had done to the boat, it would occupy space like the Encyclopaedia Brittanica.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

hodo

Member III
Loren, I made one up about 10 years ago, but I think it stayed on the 30+ when I sold her. I'll ask the new owner. Harold (Is known as getting the log rolling?)

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
Engineers' Field Book

Loren,

I use Engineers' Field Books for my maintenance and ship logs. The pages are resin impreganated so they can be written on when wet and are really durable.....I have 17 years worth of information stored in these books and they still look like new. I have 4 Books: 1) Mechanical and Hull, 2)Deck,Running and Standing Rigging and Sails, 3) Electronics, Navigation and Interior Systems, 4) Daily Log . I thought about putting together some spread sheets to electronically store the info but i don't always have my notebook on board nor do i want to duplicate work by re-entering info..... Guess i'll just stick to the old fashioned pencil and paper.:egrin:

L8R

tdtrimmer

Member II
I have put together a maintenance log/operations manual for my 1981 E38. I used MS Word and integrated many digital photos. The manual covers winterization procedures, operating procedures, equipment replacement log and preventative maintenance information. It iwas a winter project several years ago. It is nice because it is easy to keep updated as systems are upgraded or modified. It is a 6 meg file which I will be happy to share on request.
Tom
S/V Mistress
1981 E38

davemitchell

Member I
Maint. log

I use a bought one. Captain Jacks Log. 3 ring binder, has maint., engine, electronics, and other tabs/pages. it is about 6" x 4". Got it at WM about 4 years ago
Dave

Guy Stevens

Working on something for everyone

Ok so I started working on this a little, started with the cruising log. I generally use a accounting type bound book for this as that way I meet the laws requirements for the log being unalterable.

However here is my first go at a cruising log, and the maintenance log.

I generally include a section that is laminated before each of the log sections that outlines the checklists for each system, and in case of the deck logs, watch keeping procedures and schedules. At the front of the log is a list of what to do in an emergency.

So what else would people like to see in this? Changes etc? Lets see if we can't do a better log together.

Attached is my first draft. The maintenance log has a drop down for system, and check marks for completed items. FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK.

I do my maintenance log differently in that I frequently take photos and print them out on the back of the pages for the different systems when the repairs are in process or are finished. Note that the best way to print these is by far on a laser printer, so the ink does not run, should the log get wet. The higher rag content the paper has the better that seems to work. The best is write in the rain paper. All entries on our boats are done with a space pen (TM) which does always seem to write on the wet paper if needed.

The maintenance log has some fields, and is a protected form, which allows the drop downs and check boxes to work. To edit it, select view, toolbars, forms, and click on the little lock button to unlock it. Once you have unlocked it you can change anything that you would like. You can also edit and use the form in Open Office if your religion so dictates. :)

Guy
:)

Attachments

• Cruising Log of BOAT NAME HERe.doc
    63 KB · Views: 109
  • maintenance Log of BOAT NAME HERE.doc
    88.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Rob

Member II
Guy,

Looks great!

For the maintenance log, how about adding a column for "product used"? It could be useful to record, for example, the brand and weight of oil used; or the diameter of a hose; or a part number; or the name of that product that really worked (or didn't)...etc.

Emerald

Guy,

Looks great!

For the maintenance log, how about adding a column for "product used"? It could be useful to record, for example, the brand and weight of oil used; or the diameter of a hose; or a part number; or the name of that product that really worked (or didn't)...etc.

Recording things like brand and weight of oil is an imperative. Good point to mention adding a column for this type of info. But don't we all use Shell Rotella T if we have a diesel? :D

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...iwgen/press_release_2006/cj-4_intro_1006.html

Guy Stevens

No Way

For the newer engines Shell Rotella T is fine, however for the older engines for those that have them in the larger Ercisons, especially the Perkins 4-108's and the like using Shell Rotella T will make an oil sprinkler out of your engine.

The oil to use in these is Cheveron DELO 100. NOTE 100 not 400, 400 is basically the same product as Shell Rotella T.

The difference between the oils is the amount and type of detergent in the newer oils. I have been told but have been unable to verify that the detergents in the DELO 100 are parrifin (sp?)based and are thicker, hence the oil is not drawn through the live rubber seals that one finds on the Perkins 4-107 4-108, and identical Westerbeke blocks.

The previous owner thought that the rear main seal needed replacing on both of the boats I have purchased with 4-108s in them Both times I switched to Delo 100 and the leaking stopped. Also I have used this solution for a number of clients and is one of my favorite pass along bits of information to folks on the dock who have the older big iron British engines.

Guy

Last edited:

tdtrimmer

Member II
I switch from Chevron to Royal Purple Synthetic Oil several years ago. This is the oil used quite often on diesels in the oil fields. The results have been rewarding. Fuel performance has improved from .78 GPM to .56 GPM for the last two seasons and the soot on the transom has been reduced at least 50%. It is difficult to find a distributor for Royal Purple and it is expensive but I think it is worth it.
Tom
S/V Mistress E38 1981 w/ Universal 5432 diesel

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Cruising log comment

Good idea on sharing the logs, Guy. Ever felt it was worthwhile to have a plot or table of that days' tide heights and times? A friend of mine actually transfers a plot of the highs and lows to his log (we have a distinct two-humped curve out here) which gives a reference for anchoring and the experienced hands get clues to the currents of the day, without saving the tide books.

And an interesting note on the oils. I believe I am using the Chevron Delo 400 in the Universal 5432 (Japanese Kubota block) and haven't noticed any problems. Key word is "noticed." Would you be able to comment on that? This is the original engine, I believe as many of us 38 owners have the 5432.

Terrific topic, Loren.

Regards,

Guy Stevens

That should be fine in that engine

That is exactly what I run in the Cal 35 which I also have. It should be a fine oil for the Universal 5432.

In the Universal 5432 you can, if you want, run synthetics.

I like the idea of the tides, if nothing else a high and low tide time. The idea of a plot of it is a good one too... How could I make that easy??? A graph that you can plot to, how to get people to have a sine wave for it?

Guy

Last edited:

Emerald

yes way

For the newer engines Shell Rotella T is fine, however for the older engines for those that have them in the larger Ercisons, especially the Perkins 4-108's and the like using Shell Rotella T will make an oil sprinkler out of your engine.

Guy

Perhaps we're talking about different flavors of Rotella here, and looking at the link in my past post, I think I picked up the wrong link eralier. I DID NOT mean the Synthetic version of Rotella T, but the multigrade version. Check here:

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...html/iwgen/products/product_rotellamulti.html

I've never had a problem pissing out my seals on 70's vintage Yanmars with this oil, nor a variety of older Mercedes Diesels on the street (70's vintage 240Ds). I've certainly experienced synthetics pissing all over the place on 70's vintage engines, so I know exactly what you mean by this happening. But, again, ain't ever had it with the NON-synthetic version of the Rotella.

Hope this clears up the confusion. If not, I give up.

Rob

Member II
I wasn't at all worried until now...

Guy (and all others),

I'm using Texaco Ursa Super Plus SAE 15W-40 in my little 1985 Westerbeke 10-TWO.

Should I be thinking about switching to something else?

Cheers,

Rob

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Loren's Log question ...

The tide plotting space was a blank table with square (or rectangular?) cells, like engineering paper. He would write the data from the tide table on an adjacent line, then plot the points and free-hand the sine wave or camel humps. I think there were not printed scales for the heights, but the time scale may have been pre-marked. I have been digging around for a copy he gave me a couple years ago and can't find it. We're having dinner with them tonight, so I'll ask him about it.

Thanks for the tips on oil. When I read a 25 year-old engine manual I often question lubricant information, as engine oils, especially, evolve steadily. Same goes for transmission oil specs, but the changes seem to be less frequent. Automobile oil specs change with each model year, practically.

Cheers,