• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Short Pedestal

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
I am on a 4 year refit of my E 41. Finally getting to the steering pedestal. This is shorter then the normal Edson pedestal as it mounts on top of a 16 " bridge deck between the main cockpit and the smaller steering cockpit, there is the traveler that also mounts in front of the pedestal. The current pedestal is 15" from the base to the top of the engine control plate and is really corroded after 54 years. I would like to replace with a new pedestal but did not see that listed on their site. I may check on having the base cut off, shorten the tube and reweld but thought I would check to see if anyone else has fought that battle.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I recall that Christian Williams may have once had a new aluminum base and pedestal fabricated for his Ericson. You might want to message him. Local area ship wrights at the major yards often know of a good metal fabricator, also.

I am no engineer but kind of wonder if a new base could be fab'd up out of some G10 plate and tubing? That's an option that was only possible decades after your boat was first built.
I put a new carbon fiber radar post on our boat, and found that those could be spec'd out in many different thicknesses, for instance.
Admittedly I may be thinking way too far outside the box!
Easier yet, maybe find a taller base at a sailboat wrecking yard. :)

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you put on a new base, make sure it's welded. Not tack welds, like a lamp. Don't ask how I know.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Search "edson pedestal" on eBay. Several full-length pedestals are available on the site now. You could probably cut/re-welded one to fit your needs.