• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

So, whose boat made it on CNN?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Awesome. Is that San Francisco Bay, Alcatraz In the background? Not necessarily a recent photo.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The traditional rules of journalism require the photo to illustrate the moment, when context matters (are people wearing masks currently?). Therefore a file photo is unacceptable in this case, and the image should be current. (Yes, professional news organizations are hip to this requirement--and the photo staff reminds them, since they would like to remain employed).

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Speaking as a professional photographer, it’s a lousy image choice for the story line. I’m sure there are far better images that say, “populous states”. Three people doing a selfie, three people on the water in a sail boat with Alcatraz in the background just doesn’t cut it. Poor photo editing. I sent an email to the photographer to ask if he could read the name of the boat off his high resolution file. It’s a very unusual request but who knows. I might just get an answer.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Believe it or not I just got an email from the photographer. He enlarged the part of the image with the boat name on the hill and thought he read “Joint Advintur”. So maybe it’s Joint Adventure? Anyone in SF know if that boat?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
So many Ericsons in the Bay Area! I went with at friend to look at a boat in Alameda last weekend and the dock had three! That one had no main. Many young people in the Bay Area are using boats as floating apartments.