soft foredeck, e 27

outahere

Member II
I am about to take the plunge and repair the soft foredeck on my E 27 and have a couple of questions. In reading past threads on the subject I think I remember one that said that there is a brace in the area that you can cut through if your not careful. If that is true, which way does it run, side to side or fore to aft?

I am going to make the repair from below deck and was wondering if the liner is actually glassed to the deck or does the deck "float" above the liner. Any advice is appreciated.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I just replaced the foredeck core on mine. Here are a couple pictures, I did not see evidence of a brace, however I was working from above. The liner touches the deck in several places which seems to add stiffness. I am not sure if it is bonded in place to the deck, but it seems like it might be, as there are several areas where the bottom skin seems to be very solid. The softest (most unsupported from below) portion seemed to be in the middle just below the screwdriver handle in the photo. I would make plans to glass the liner back in place to keep the additional support from below. Or I suppose you could glass several stringers in place to add stiffness. Good luck. Its a big job either way you go!

Doug

Core out.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/attachment.php?attachmentid=5599&stc=1&d=1250349954

Fully glassed.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/attachment.php?attachmentid=5600&stc=1&d=1250350056

Attachments

• starboard foredeck core removal.jpg
    starboard foredeck core removal.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Bow fully glassed.jpg
    Bow fully glassed.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

wolly bugger

Member II
soft foredeck

I will have to do the same on my 78 E25 pretty soon. The soft area is small and all within the anchor locker so I will do it from below. I was wondering how thick was the core so I can have every thing on hand before I start.

outahere

Member II
Doug,

Nice job! Thats about the same area I've got to replace. PO let most all the deck hardware go unattended, water got in and you know the rest of the story. Are you planning on glassing the original deck area back in for no slip purposes, or are you planning something else?

Glenn

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
If you have the access you need, I think doing all from the bottom and keeping the skin in place would be preferred. I know the access is a big "if."

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Unfortunately it was not salvageable. The top skin came up in chunks. Large areas were rotten, with some well bonded core. So in order to get all the rot out, I had to break the top skin into pieces. I put 4 layers of 1708 biaxial cloth on top and its rock solid. Only problem is I have to spend a lot of time fairing it.

Doug