Special thank you to Guy Stevens!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I just finished the prep work to barrier coat my E38. The stripping of the old paint would either have been impossible, much much more expensive, time consuming and tedious, etc. WITHOUT the "Magic Leaf Spring Scraper"

Guy, I know you don't take credit for this little gem of a tool but I offer my sincere thanks in recommending it! I tried everything on the 10+coats of paint and it was looking like a lost cause until I tried the leaf spring. Works unbelievably well for such a simple tool. The only thing better would have been soda blasting.

Thanks again, RT

HGSail

Member III
Rob,

I didn't catch the posting on your project. Is that a leaf spring off of a car or is it a special tool? I will be pulling my boat in October for a new bottom and blister repair/barrier coat.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Pat

IF you 29 is like my 1978 E 29 was, God help you. It was as bad as it gets without structural problems. I went through a gallon of west epoxy and filler on the boat and on the ground. I sprayed the barrier and paint. More hours than I can add up and lots of sanding supplies.

In my humble opinion only an Ericson would be worth the work. I am proud of the way it turned out and the performance of the boat. Fourth in fleet at Dauphin Island race last month. (Yes I trailered the boat over 700 miles to the race and it was worth every hundred in gas for the truck and the money spent while there).

Attachments

• hull 004.jpg
    hull 004.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 50

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Several requests for pics of this scraper so I will have to try and get one posted, stay tuned! I may actually have a video clip of the scraper in use, but how to post that? RT