SS Tubing source

Dave G

Member II
Plan on buidling a new swim ladder, does anyone know of online source for 1"od SS tubing? I see it at West Marine are there other sources?

Thanks.

Dave

Sven

Seglare
How do you bend it ?

Assuming you get the SS stock, is it practical to cut it and bend it without a full metal working shop ? I've never tried but have been led to believe it is almost too hard to drill or cut and near impossible to bend even with a pipe bender.

Still need that stern rail :)

-Sven

Dave G

Member II
Thanks for the tip on McMaster, I don't know why I hadn't thought of looking there?

As far as bending, yes you need access to a pipe bender. SS is not too hard to drill if you use sharp drill bits and slow the speed down a little to prevent overheating.

Dave

When drilling SS, use a cobalt bit. Slightly more expensive, but much faster and with less force on the bit. Get 'em at large box hardware stores, or even Sears.

Walter Pearson

Member III
A method that has worked well for me is to make prototypes and prove the design with copper tubing, EMT, or something easy to obtain and fabricate and then send the final dimensions to a specialty mfg. house like Tops-In-Quality to quote and then make it in stainless if the price is right. Especially if there are tight bends, they can do so much better than I can and the parts come back electropolished and beautiful.

http://www.topsinquality.com/