Stain color 83 35-3

Socalsailors

So I found the leak and of course it was the dorade box so no surprises there. It’s all glassed so no more leaking but the starboard bulkhead took a beating the varnish bubbled and discolored I’ve sanded and prepped but does anyone have an idea of the color that Ericsson used? Took a photo close with good light but trying to match it is turning out to be harder that I thought.
Any ideas?
Thanks John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This is a subject of constant interest. AFAIK Ericson oiled their teak interiors in the 80's but would varnish it out for $$ dollars as an option.
For whatever reason of esthetics they tried to "blend in" all of the veneers and solids to a more uniform shade. They used a cherry stain, I have come to believe. "Red-ish" sort of, anyway.
If you do a site search on interior wood finish or stain or similar, there are a lot of threads to look over.
Just one of several: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/ericson-oem-factory-interior-wood-finish-treatment.20218/
And, a look at how we have refinished ours: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/another-fall-another-bulkhead.107/

We love the Natural look of teak, and consider the variations in shading in the natural wood surface to be a part of the charm. Obviously, "opinions vary!" :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have collected a bunch of Minwax stains, Mahogany, Walnut, Maple etc. and decorated boards with tests and combinations that were nowhere close. But of course it's worth a try.

Teak on my boat has the annoying property of getting lighter, rather than darker, under clocks and plaques and such, which further bolluxes things. Or is it the other way around? The issue is the same, either way.

What has worked for me is sticky-back teak veneer from Rockler. It looks quite like the Ericson original, although that's a guess because the original has changed color.

It is possible to cover damaged cabin veneer with such sticky-back. The seam can be a batten, strategically placed to look like it's supposed to be there. The top panel below (with round battery monitor gauge) is actually plywood covered in such veneer, with satin vanish.

That's been my solution, and sometimes it even works.

2 veneerIMG_2399 - Copy.JPG

Socalsailors

As always the info was just what I needed. Loren thanks for the idea of using search, so many threads and Christian the Rockler sticky back I had never heard of it but now I’m thinking of just recovering the entire bulkhead and the use of fairing and painting is beautiful wahta great resource you two are. Thasks very much.