steering cable...

rhewitt

Member II
Today it happened, 1st slab reef & 1/2 of 130 jib with wind gusting 35+ and 8 guest out for a Nicaragua sail.

The steering got very hard to turn and head up into wind and then after about an hour a BIG thump.... thinking the cable had a warp, it was now back to good steering. One more hour and coming into the harbor it all let go and NO steering! NOTHING so I guess the cable failed.

A fisherman was going by and I got a tow to bouy and let everyone off (me too). I will go out on Monday and take a look.

Any ideas before I try and fix? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks for any help,

Ralph

"No Bad Days"

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Edson steering cable

Ralph - A few years ago on my boat the clamps on the cable at the drive wheel on the rudder post let go. It was an easy fix because I could just replace the clamps.

I replaced the entire chain & cable Assembly at the first opportunity because there were some meat hooks on the cable.

The Edson part # for the "chain & wire rope assembly" is 2S15B9. I bought it from Defender at a significant discount, but don't see that size in their catalog tonight.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinest...uct_info&cPath=84_92_220_222&products_id=1124

You can also make it up yourself from standard parts shown above.