Stern pulpits hollow at corners?

Willpatten

Member II
I want to mount my GPS receiver on my stern pulpit and run the wire inside the stainless 1" tubing to the lazerette. But I don't know if the corners and tees are hollow and can be used as a chase. Anyone try that before?

Glyn Judson

Mounting your GPS antenna.

Will, It's not likely that the welded joint of your stern rail will be hollow but that shouldn't discourage you from mounting an antenna somewhere back there anyway. Consider using an antenna rail mount such as the West Marine stainless steel model 7850282 or their white Nylon model 7850308. I have a stainless model mounted on a vertical rail that leads directly to a deck base. By drilling a hole horizontally in the rail and deftly routing the coax around the internal elbow mounting hardware and into the hole and then through the hole in the base, the coax is protected from the weather and hidden from view. Just be sure to take the time to remove all the burrs from the holes you drill in order to protect the coax insulation from getting sliced as you pull it. In reality one would not pull it but would push the coax through, taking up the slack on the other end as more and more coax is fed through the holes. Finally, seal the joint between the vertical rail and the base using rigging tape 6886766 or just some black electrical tape. If you think it would help, email me back channel at glynjudson@roadrunner.com for several photos of my installation. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marin del Rey, CA

Mindscape

Member III
Running Wires thru the stern pulpit

I have speakers mounted on my stern pulpit with all the wiring run thru the pulpit. As Glyn mentioned be sure to get rid off any burrs in the holes. I used pull chain for lamps as a leader, using a magnet to pull the chain along. If you can't easily push the coax thru you might try this technique, I've used in a number of applications and it works pretty well.