Structural question on teak ply glued around portlights

eknebel

Member III
Might hire a glass person, as I might not have the time to teach myself that part of the project. Thanks again for sharing!
Clayton
I had to built angle adjustable molds to make the tapered angle, curious to see what the estimate is. It was many, many hours, a pro would do it quicker.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
@Martin King
You mention to epoxy on the new ply or such to the house sides.
Do you know if that additional material thickness is required with the initial boat design to create more needed structure to the house side?

If one were to say fair it and gel coat it, the only structure would be the 1/4" glass layup.
Is the original glass layup structure stiffness acceptable?

This is what I'm trying to determine. The glass work on these boats is very well done.
I am assuming that the teak ply is cosmetic and doesn't really add to the overall stiffness of the house sides. However there isn't any real data I can find to verify this.
Thanks.
The wood trim is cosmetic. It's there to cover the rough glass and make a nice panel for the interior. That said, bonding an additional thickness
the way I did it can't hurt, and probably does add a little more stiffness, but it's not required. I think one should take into account the ports and how they will fit. The E31 ports I was dealing with are very different than those on a 28.

Martin