substantial crazing in the non skid of e381

Wind River

Inactive Member
Greetings, I have a rather substantial amount of crazing in the non skid throughout the deck of my boat. It is the original non skid with a weave pattern and has not been painted. I have had the deck metered a number of times last year and it is dry. So the only real issue I have is one of cosmetics. I would like to re-do the non skid but am not quite sure what to do with all the crazing. Should I repair it and then apply new non skid? Or should I just apply new non skid over the crazing? Will the new non skid cover the old pattern? I haven't had a chance to do any research on products yet. If there is a previous thread on this topic please let me know. thanks, George

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Do a search

Hi,

Search on keywords like "deck" "paint" or "skid" and you'll get a selection of the best threads that deal with restoring non-skid. There are a number of experienced people on the forum who've dealt with that - Martin King, Loren Beach and others.

I'm not sure what you mean by crazing. Chips or cracks? A picture might be helpful. Some, but not all, non-skid or deck restore techniques will deal with surface problems by filling, sanding, or grinding them away.

Good luck. I'll be watching because I have a 25-year-old deck with a grip problem.

Cheers,

jmoses

Member III
Crazing issue (going crazy?)

Greetings back,

What you most likely have is an overly thick gelcoat. Bad crazing is usually a sign of over zealous spraying of gelcoat prior to lay-up. After many years in the sun and eventual curing, it cracks due to the different hardnesses of the gelcoat and underlayment. The problem is, that if most of the overly rich gelcoat is not removed, the crazing will eventually resurface through the nice paint job. I too have some deck crazing, but live with it as I don't like creating large maintanance jobs down the road (eg. re-painting the deck every 5 years or so). That's my personal preference. I did have delamination on the foredeck (and elsewhere) which has all been repaired though.

However, this brings up another issue which causes extensive crazing and that's a soft core (delamination) which results in the deck flexing and the gelcoat to crack/craze. Although you had the deck metered, it is not always accurate (operator issues usually) and possibly the deck was previously wet, has dried out but the delamination is still present (it never goes away once it occurs unless fixed). You'll need to do a percussion test of the deck with a soft hammer (plastic tipped), or a screwdriver handle. Tapping the deck with such a tool will give you either a solid 'thunk', which is good core, or a dull 'thud' which is a delamination area.

You don't mention where the predominance of crazing is located, but check around deck penetrations (stanchions, sail tracks, etc.), foredeck and other areas for soft core and see if that is causing the problem. Simply painting over the problem will be an expensive lesson in delamination if present.

John M.

Last edited:

Wind River

Inactive Member
Picture's worth a thousand words

John/footrope, thanks for the response! I have attached a picture of a spot that is 2 feet aft of the chainplates on the starboard side. This is one of the more ugly spots of crazing as it spans about 1 foot by 4 feet. I sounded this area and it does sound hollow so I think I'll drill a few holes there and see what I come up with. If its dry I'll inject some epoxy in there and put a couple of bricks on it. If this type of crazing is just going to reappear in time then I will probably live with it as well. thanks,
George

Wind River
86 E381

Attachments

• DSC01234.JPG
    DSC01234.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 140