Sunbrella waterproofing

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

Just wondering what people have found works well for waterproofing their dodger Sunbrella. I have used the 303 stuff but find it is very expensive & doesn't cover well. Another fellow at the marina just went to a hardware store & bought a gallon of silicone tent waterproofing & used his garden sprayer. I've read that the silicone attracts dirt. Has anyone any experience here?

Thanks,

Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Vancouver BC

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The sunbrella on my dodger is pretty shot and no longer waterproof. I sprayed it down with this stuff called Aqua Seal. Its a silicone based spray I think. Came with my drysuit but I think its available retail. Not sure how the long term will do for it but it did stop the leaks and hasn't attracted dirt. Would probably work a lot better if the cloth was in better shape.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Seam Sealer

My experience with tarps and such is that when they begin to leak it is usually through the seams and stitching (at least at first). On my dodger and bimini I treated the seams and stitching with Seam Sealer, something that you buy at any camping store. (I got mine online from www.campmor.com ) It leaves sort of a clear rubbery finish that is visible, but doesn't attract dirt.

In our case it stopped all the leaks through the stitching, which was all I needed.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
303 working well so far

I just renewed the sunbrella waterproofing on my dodger with the 303 and I am still dry underneath after a month and a couple heavy rains. The dodger is pretty thin on top (maybe 8-10 years old) and used to let in anything more than light drizzle.

I took it home on the frame and suspended it on the garage wall. Washed the top gently using a brush with a mild soap (cheap dishwashing liquid). When it dried completely, I sprayed on the 303 pretty liberally, and and then let it dry several days. I used almost all of the 16 oz. spray bottle and made sure to get it wet and to overlap.

You can re-apply the 303 to cover the places you missed the first time. That's assuming there's not some severe wear that is causing yours to fail. At the time I did this, it was too wet outside to ensure a dry surface to start with, so I felt it was better to work on it in the garage and enjoy the fumes.

admirals barge

Member III
waterproofing

my canvas was leaking i went to an auto detailing/fabric supply store and purchased a gallon of waterproofing. the name escapes me. after scrubbing it down and letting it dry i sprayed the canvas using a hand pump sprayer. i put on 2 coats. on the big gaps in the seams i used seam seal. the canvas never leaked and i would scrub it with the soft brush i used on the deck to get rid of the donations left by the sea gulls. once a year when i scrub the canvas i spray it again. it also brought back the color. oh any by the way they carried all the ss fastners imaginable for canvas.

happy sailing
greg
74 eric 35 II #325

jmoses

Member III
Clean before sealing

The key to any sealant is that the material must be clean before application.

Simply spraying on anything with dirt embedded in the fabric will ensure failure.

My experience with 303 is mediocre - I'll clean the Sunbrella with a Woolite-like soap, coat heavily with 303. This lasts about 2 months then fades away rather radiply. It smells of kerosene or some other petrolem product. I had a bunch of overspray on the deck and it was water proof for about 4 weeks then faded away as well. Oh well, it does work, but briefly.

Silicone sprays tend to attract dirt, and I'd be careful about the material sitting next to certain finishes or bare wood (might soak in the silicone and cause problems later?).

Anyway, no real answer here....

John M.

kevin81

Member II
Steve,
I use a product named Aqua-Tite. A local canvas/sailmaker told me they tested several brands and found Aqua-Tite provides the best waterproofing. I bought a gallon from the local sailmaker but have since found it much cheaper on the net. I used a small hand pump sprayer to apply. As with the other replys, cleaning and drying the fabric is critcal before applying.

Kevin
s/v Serenidad E34