Suncor Lifeline hardware ?

Sven

Seglare
I don't want us to have to buy another big crimper or swaging tool :esad:

We've talked about replacing the unknown-age vinyl coated life lines with un-coated SS. Now one of the lines' vinyl has suddenly started cracking and showing rust stains so ...

When leafing through the new Defender catalog I came across the Suncor reusable (!?) lifeline fittings. I'll go off and search for installation instructions and other discussions but am of course interested in opinions from this learned assembly first and foremost.

Other alternatives than Suncor ?

-Sven

Emerald

I know you don't want to buy another tool, but have you looked at the hand crimping tool and lifelines from Johnson? They are very affordable (the tool), and I did mine up several years ago and a friends boat, and it was easy, looks good, and the price was right. First, I really like the over-center hooks from Johnson that put the load onto the body, not the pin:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|297400|312089&id=1585111

Here's the crimping tool you need. It's not too expensive, and you'll be set to make lifelines for life :rolleyes:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|297400|311641&id=1044153

Guy Stevens

Make them out of Dynema

Make them out of Dynema, (spectra) they are softer, stronger, easy to do yourself, and replacable anywhere anytime with a couple of quick splices and a lashing.

Suncor and Johnson both make fittings with loops in them to attach the dynema to.

The SS is not the best answer here.

Guy
:)

Brian K

Member III
Just Bought Kit

Funny this comes up now,,, I just bought 2 of the Suncor kits from Defender,,, got the $168.99 price for each. Since I'm on fresh water I thought the SS would be fine for my purposes. I am impressed with the Suncor Quick Attach fittings and at that price I couldn't resist. I did consider the Johnson stuff but liked the re-usable feature of Suncor's stuff. If you are looking at the re-usable type, Suncor was rated highest by the article I read. Guy does have a good point on using Dynema although my understanding is Dynema needs to be replaced on more frequent basis.

Sven

Seglare

Sven

Seglare
Make them out of Dynema, (spectra) they are softer, stronger, easy to do yourself, and replacable anywhere anytime with a couple of quick splices and a lashing.

Thanks Guy. I'm keeping that option open too. If I remember correctly the spectra lines need to be replaced every 3 years or so due to UV damage but it is still appealing. I think it was a spectra lifeline discussion (here ?) that first made me aware of the mobius splice.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Funny this comes up now,,, I just bought 2 of the Suncor kits from Defender,,, got the $168.99 price for each. Since I'm on fresh water I thought the SS would be fine for my purposes. I am impressed with the Suncor Quick Attach fittings and at that price I couldn't resist. I did consider the Johnson stuff but liked the re-usable feature of Suncor's stuff. If you are looking at the re-usable type, Suncor was rated highest by the article I read. Guy does have a good point on using Dynema although my understanding is Dynema needs to be replaced on more frequent basis.

Thanks Brian.

I notice that Suncor sells the wedge kits as a separate item. Do you think the wedge kit needs replacing when redoing the fittings or are they selling them just in case you drop one ? The wedges do not look like SS in the pictures, are they ? The note about sealing the end of the fitting with silicone and cleaning the wedge with WD-40 makes me worry that the fitting might corrode in the wedge part of the assembly because it is not SS ?

-Sven

Brian K

Member III
Sven, that's a good question about the wedges. I can't imagine a nice fitting like that having a ferrous metal wedge. If it's not SS it's probably some kind of alloy. I'll have to hold a magnet up to the wedge. I'll try to remember to do that tonight,,, I have the kits in the garage at home. About replacing the wedges, I re-opened one fitting that I had tightened about 1/2 way or more and I didn't see any distortion of the wedges or any need to replace them. Of course it you give them the full tightening maybe that will change things.

I used a good set of bolt cutters (they are about 30" long) to make the 2 cuts I've done so far. It's amazing how well the bolt cutters work. I anticipated them crushing the wire and making a mess,,, but no.

AleksT

Member III
If you are considering Dynema, look at either Warpspeed or Endura. They have dynema cores with an outer cover that will protect the core from both UV damage and chafe as they go through the stanchions.
I have not tried them yet but have considered changing over on my boat. I did some research and found that the 1/4" endura has similar breaking strength as 3/16 7X7 wire. (which is what is usually in 5/16 coated lifeline).

Sven

Seglare
If you are considering Dynema, look at either Warpspeed or Endura. They have dynema cores with an outer cover that will protect the core from both UV damage and chafe as they go through the stanchions.
I have not tried them yet but have considered changing over on my boat. I did some research and found that the 1/4" endura has similar breaking strength as 3/16 7X7 wire. (which is what is usually in 5/16 coated lifeline).

Interesting alternative. Wonder which splice one would use.

-Sven

Brian K

Member III
Ferrous Wedges!!

Hey Sven, yes, the wedges are some kind of ferrous metal. That's not such a problem for fresh water boats but I'd be interested to hear from someone who has had the Suncor fittings in place for a few years to see what condition the wedges are in after some salt water exposure. They do come with a good coating of grease.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Brian,

Hey Sven, yes, the wedges are some kind of ferrous metal. That's not such a problem for fresh water boats but I'd be interested to hear from someone who has had the Suncor fittings in place for a few years to see what condition the wedges are in after some salt water exposure. They do come with a good coating of grease.

Thanks for checking. It did look odd in the pictures and the sealing instructions were a red flag too, but now we know.

Maybe there is enough deformation so that water can't enter but I'm not sure I'd want to bet on it. Like you say, for fresh it is probably fine.

Thanks again,

-Sven