• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Temperature for painting Awlgrip

Stuart 28-2

Member II
I am having the transom painted with Awlgrip. I'm doing pretty much everything except spraying the paint - having a pro do that.
Anyone have experience with temperature issues?
I am reading an application guide by Awlgrip. It has tremendous detail. Under Painting Environment it uses 77deg F as the ideal along with curing times and says if it is cooler it will take longer. It shows first cure cycle as 12-24 hours, second as 72-96 hours, and third cure cycle as 14-21 days.
I am in North Carolina and for January/February count on 40's and 50's for the most part.
It says "severe service conditions" should be avoided until third cure cycle complete. I interpret that as meaning I can put the boat back in the water and dock it in the slip but can't go sailing.
Sounds like once I start painting I am something like 40 days out from sailing.
Opinions please.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I would phone their tech support line. In the past I have found that the tech guys can give you a better feel for whether there is any flexibility in the instructions, and what to watch for to spot a problem early on.
Frank